Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Who was the best player from Sussex who never made it?

[ Facebook comments]

Popular forum for Combination, Isthmian & National League issues.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Re: Who was the best player from Sussex who never made it?

Postby Xylophone » Thu Dec 29 2016, 05:20

Only just recently came across this forum and did try to post something on it but it doesn't seem to have registered?

Anyway for the record and discussing a few things mentioned here; I was lucky enough to play with three very good goalkeepers in Sussex around the late 1960s and they were Keith Etheridge (Horsham), Dai Mason (Horsham) and Martin Arnold (Worthing) and Dai was probably the pick of them. As it happens both he and I were asked to go for trials with QPR, but we both declined.

I saw mention of Colin Wolfenden and Newick Rangers in the Sunday league and if I remember correctly, a few of the Lewes players played for them, and this sort of format was repeated by several clubs in that league, and Brookes Sports (Crawley) was another good club and a few of the good players from around the Crawley area like Keith Cook, Denny Ringrose, and Jimmy Knox play for them, and from the Horsham area, there was Cowfold Lions and in that team there were a few Horsham and Horsham YMCA players like Alan Lancaster, Roger Weekes and Phil Skingsley.

Does anyone else remember these days or players?
Xylophone

Non League Club: Horsham
Pro Club: Man Utd
Twitter Acct: N/A

Postby Xylophone » Sun Jan 08 2017, 09:40

This is my third attempt at posting, so I hope this one works!!

Two goalkeepers I played with could have made it to a pro side I believe, Keith Etheridge who played for Horsham was an excellent shot stopper, although a little on the short side, but certainly Dai Mason should have been a contender. In fact both he and I were offered the chance to attend trials at QPR, but neither of us decided to go for various reasons.

Then of course there was Colin Wolfenden, who has been mentioned here, and who was a player with superb silky skills and should have gone far I believe, although his seemingly "casual" approach may well have put scouts off.

I was lucky enough to have played with many good players in Sussex, having played for Horsham, Worthing, Horsham YMCA, Three Bridges, Wick and Portfield, and a couple of them with excellent skills would grace just about any side in the pro leagues if they had the application. Davy Owens who was a Crawley guy had some fabulous skills, but didn't like training and was content to just get a game wherever he could, however to see him on his day, you would think you were watching Charlie Cooke.
Xylophone

Non League Club: Horsham
Pro Club: Man Utd
Twitter Acct: N/A

Postby guerrero » Sun Apr 16 2017, 08:40

Just read this thread nine years later!!
Great nostalgia and left me wondering if coaching principles have changed regarding young players?
My year 5/6 school team played the Spanish kids off the park and won a tournament in Elche a couple of weeks ago.
Passing,ball control,ball retention,skills to influence rather than decorate a game and finishing,finishing,finishing all still seem to be principles that work.
All the best .
Hubby.
Brexit schmexit!
guerrero

Non League Club: Tonbridge Angels.
Pro Club: Liverpool and Barcelona.

Postby Oaker » Sun Apr 16 2017, 17:56

I've just read through it too, Paul! Great stuff :p
Steve Carden

"You know you do the Okie boogie and it nearly drives you wild"
Oaker

Postby saffronian » Tue May 02 2017, 17:58

Talking of goalies from the 60s and 70s I would think that Mick Cullen (Eastbourne Town, Hastings, Piddinghoe,and Beachy Head) deserves a mention. .It was in the days when keepers were not protected by refs like they are now but he still commanded quite a lot of respect from opposing forwards.
saffronian

Previous

Return to Southern Combination, Isthmian & National Leagues