Penalty shoot outs

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2006 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Penalty shoot outs

Postby sadfoot » Tue Jul 04 2006, 13:21

Thinking about why we always do so badly and Germans do so well- I am not saying Robinson is not a good goalkeeper but how much competition is there from English goalies in the Premiership. I wondered how Lehman and Portugese goaly always guessed the right side then I saw Lehmans list of which side each each player goes when shooting under pressure, wonder if Robinson bothered to analize tapes in such detail.
sadfoot

Postby The Contender » Sun Jul 09 2006, 18:14

portugal missed two penalties, you can't ask for more than that. Certain players bottled theirs such as Lampard and Gerrard. I am still so disapointed.
Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? I ask that of all my friends

The Contender

Postby Fingers » Sun Jul 09 2006, 21:50

Penalty shootouts are all about bottle. Plus you hope your keeper makes a save or two. Trouble in Englands case they didnt strike the ball well and made it easy for Ricardo. If you look at the successful German penalties against Argentinas and the Italians tonight they were all high and struck with venom. You have to have nerve to hit hard and high. You can practice in training as much as you like but you cant practice the feeling in the real thing, that only comes with experience.

Theres hope for England as Italy had never won a penalty shootout at a world cup until tonight. As a fan I want to experience the feelings that Italians fans are feeling tonight. South Africa 2010 could be our time.
Fingers

• Website

Postby Lord Zola » Mon Jul 10 2006, 10:35

Fingers wrote:Penalty shootouts are all about bottle. Plus you hope your keeper makes a save or two. Trouble in Englands case they didnt strike the ball well and made it easy for Ricardo. If you look at the successful German penalties against Argentinas and the Italians tonight they were all high and struck with venom. You have to have nerve to hit hard and high. You can practice in training as much as you like but you cant practice the feeling in the real thing, that only comes with experience.

Theres hope for England as Italy had never won a penalty shootout at a world cup until tonight. As a fan I want to experience the feelings that Italians fans are feeling tonight. South Africa 2010 could be our time.

The trouble with England is that we always seems to go behind in shoot-outs early doors, and as such instantly put more pressure on ourselves, which makes it even harder. The turning point was Gerrards miss, as we would have been in front with 2 penalties to go, and the pressure would have really been on the portugese.

As Kev says, high is the way to go. You notice Pirlo's penalyy from behind, (in the replay) is was so simple just a half pace shot about head height straight down the middle, simple.

On goalkeepers, you need them to pull a save out for you. Robinson is no doubt the best we have, but's he's not World Class. There a 5 or 6 better keepers in the Premiership alone.
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Postby The Contender » Tue Jul 11 2006, 10:59

I disagree Lord Zola. I think Robinson is world class. If you look at Buffon and Cech who are rated as the best in the world they flapped at times as well. We only conceded in one game which you can't moan about and Robbo pulled off a world class save in that match as well. If we had a striker with pace playing Robinsons distribution would have been a lot more effective.
Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? I ask that of all my friends

The Contender

Postby red_boots2 » Tue Jul 11 2006, 11:22

Robinson made a great save in the shoot out, a great save in the game & with the exceptions of Lehman & Buffon no other keepers had an outstanding tournament.

Not making excuses for him but the amount of times the keepers flapped at crosses or couldn't judge the flight of the ball was incredible.

As for competition. It's the same all over the world. Who really challenges Buffon, Cech, Lehman, Dida etc...

It's not really Robinson or Englands fault that over the years Kirkland, Green & Richard Wright haven't stayed fit or furfilled the early potential, some players just peak at different times.
Whatever It Takes
red_boots2

• YIM

Postby *JBFC11* » Tue Jul 11 2006, 12:20

Robinson's mustard!
Viva Le Revolución!

VIVA!!!
*JBFC11*

• Website

Postby Fingers » Tue Jul 11 2006, 12:29

Robinson is the best we've got! World Class no. Lehman is a clown but has had a good world cup and season buts he's 36 and proves as redboots says Keeper mature differently to outfield players and have a longer career span. Buffon is world class, Italy only conceded two goals in the whole world cup, one was a penalty and the other an OG.

If Robinson was in goal for a top english side and playing champions league football every year then one day he may become world class, but all time he's wasting his time in a mid-table premiership side thats not going to happen.

This world cup has proved one thing defences win titles not flamboyant flicks and tricks, good hard solid tackling and crunching.

Ive cast my rod which one will bite first?
Fingers

• Website

Postby Lord Zola » Tue Jul 11 2006, 12:44

The Contender wrote:I disagree Lord Zola. I think Robinson is world class. If you look at Buffon and Cech who are rated as the best in the world they flapped at times as well. We only conceded in one game which you can't moan about and Robbo pulled off a world class save in that match as well. If we had a striker with pace playing Robinsons distribution would have been a lot more effective.

He's a good keeper, but not world class.

Regarding his distribution, there was an article on the BBC website, stating that statistically he had one of the worst pass completions of all goal keepers at the world cup. That was after the group games, not sure if it improved or not.
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Postby red_boots2 » Tue Jul 11 2006, 13:19

There's also a statistic (which annoyingly I can't find) that says he is in the top 3 distributors in the premiership. Doesn't that therefore suggest that the players were not making themselves available.

Whislt Tottenham are not a complete team yet. I would imagine it is easier to hit a long pass to Mido than it would be to Rooney if he was playing up front on his own as he is used to playing the lone striker role, Rooney isn't (i know it was only 1 game tho). You also see Lennon or Davids dropping short to receive the ball in the premiership, I don't recall Beckham or Joe Cole dropping short.

However what sort of idiot hits the TV screen when its that far from the floor!
Whatever It Takes
red_boots2

• YIM

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 11 2006, 14:05

I think Robinson was just proving what a stupid place it was to hang a tv screen - only the Germans!
World Cup Dream Team 2006

Dave

Postby *JBFC11* » Tue Jul 11 2006, 15:28

Robinson's mustard
Viva Le Revolución!

VIVA!!!
*JBFC11*

• Website

Postby Fingers » Wed Jul 12 2006, 20:20

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa