At Last!

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2006 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

At Last!

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 04 2006, 21:57

A game of football at the World Cup Finals where we can all nod in agreement and say 'what a good game'. No-one trying to get players sent off... theatricals down to an absolute limit down to some tremendous refereeing, and nail biting to the end.

These millionaire footballers are in the entertainment business (as much as the sport), and if rolling around like they have been shot in the knee by an AK47 is entertainment then I defy anyone to agree. When a game ebbs and flows and is officiated correctly, we have Italy v Germany, a classic nail biting, tense, semi final. They only earn millions through the likes of those that pay at the turnstile. They need to learn a little humility. I feel like I was in a time warp tonight, watching some very entertaining attacking and defending football. Why can't all games be like this?

Thank you Germany, Italy, and more importantly, the ref. Great game!
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby A.L.B » Wed Jul 05 2006, 06:29

Amen to that. What fotball, and especially the World Cup is all about!!

A.L.B

Postby the lawn mower » Wed Jul 05 2006, 06:36

-
I for one, totally agree with your sentiments "GEOFF".
Especially the Entertainment issue.

Both teams were well managed, by two, "Top Quality" men who have knowledge of defending and ATTACKING football.

I just hope McClaren, can achieve something to that effect.
the lawn mower

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 05 2006, 07:50

Watching those two teams play last night, I am, in a strange way, glad England will not be in the final, we would have been an embarassment playing against the italians, who look so much more organsied and clinical than England ever could, as much as I hate them (and the Germans) they proved that there are still good footballing nations out there.
World Cup Dream Team 2006

Dave

Postby Fingers » Wed Jul 05 2006, 09:23

Great Game - defineately the best ref in the tournament by far. Just goes to show what can be acheived if you let the game flow. As soon as the players realised they werent going to con the ref with their dives and theatrics players stopped doing it and just got on with playing the game.
Fingers

• Website

Postby diver » Wed Jul 05 2006, 10:38

totally agree monty
diver

Postby red_boots2 » Wed Jul 05 2006, 10:41

I have never seen an Italian team that has played at such a fast pace, which brings back the argument, "why don't England play at that pace?"

Even Neil Warnock praised the referee last night, so he must have been good!
Whatever It Takes
red_boots2

• YIM

Postby Lord Zola » Wed Jul 05 2006, 11:27

Kind of put's Englands performances into perspective, we've not been near that level of football those teams produced last night.

Gerrard & Lampard would have both just shot if the ball came back to them like it did Pirlo last night. However, Pirlo saw his shot may be blocked, waited and waited until the right ball was on, and the rest his history. Excellent game of the highest standard.
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2006