Find us on facebook

Results Saturday 20th April 2019

[ Facebook comments]

East Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Results Saturday 20th April 2019

Postby blueboybird » Sat Apr 20 2019, 20:54

We've done it. Sidley United are the Champions of the East Sussex Football League. :)

Almost six years to the day we lost our home ground and with it had to withdraw from the Sussex County League. But we reformed, started from scratch and are now enjoying on field success again.

I may be biased but for me I think it's well deserved. Lost 2 of our first 3, a bit of a scrappy start to the season but to then win our next 14 straight league games is a terrific achievement. In fact in those 14 matches we've only conceded 11 goals. The boys have been fantastic, a great group of lads who have been a credit to the club.

May I also take this opportunity to credit Bexhill Town and Battle Baptists, who have been excellent this season and made it an incredibly close title race. Who would have thought with one game left that all three sides would still be in with a chance of winning the league. Well done guys and best of luck for next season.

Onto the game then. Now one left for us, a cup final against another excellent side in Sedlescombe Rangers. Let's hope we can finish off in style.

Sidley United 5 - 1 Robertsbridge United - ESFL Premier Division

Sidley United clinched the ESFL title with a convincing victory at home to Robertsbridge United.

The Blues came into the game knowing that a point would be enough but they were determined to grab the game by the scruff of the neck from the start. They took the lead on 18 minutes as a long throw in by Charlie Cornford was headed home by Danny Ellis.

Sidley looked to be comfortable when Sean Baldwin added a second goal on 31 minutes. But after Zac McEniry was sinbinned for dissent - the first time a Sidley player has ever received the new punishment - the resulting free kick saw Ben Thorpe head home unmarked to bring Robertsbridge back into the game.

At half time Sidley could have started to feel the nerves but just two minutes into the second half Cornford notched his first goal for the club to again put daylight between the sides.

Sidley's fourth goal arrived on 71 minutes as McEniry headed a corner over the Robertsbridge goalkeeper. With confidence high and the result assured, Cornford powered home his second and Sidley's fifth goal on 79 minutes.

The final minutes saw Sidley see out the game before the celebrations could truly begin as the Blues ensured they ended the season having won every home match this season. A magnificent campaign which could yet conclude with another trophy as Sidley face Sedlescombe Rangers in the ESFL Premier Travel Challenge Cup Final on May 4th at The Pilot Field.

Sidley Team: Langley-Fineing, Walker, Scrace (Day), McEniry, Copley, Elliott-Noye (Funnell), Wells, Ellis, Cornford (Elphick), Carey, Baldwin.
blueboybird

Return to East Sussex FL