Find us on facebook

Ridiculous or not ??

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Ridiculous or not ??

Postby Mystery » Fri Nov 18 2011, 10:55

Havent recieved one myself yet but heard from a few of my old team mates yesterday that the WSFL have sent letters to all players that signed on for Angmering football club in the summer asking for £10 to go towards unpaid fees (or something like that) after the withdrawel of AFC from the league this season.

This has to be some sly attempt to get the odd 1 or 2 to cough up as they try to get a few quid in the bank, but how are the players accountable for this?

I personally think its hilarious and they will do well to get a single penny from me.

Just to make it clear, this is in no way a dig at the club either. Just wanted to put this out there and get other peoples thoughts.

If anyone from the WSFL reads this and wishes to explain the reasons behind ths then that would be interesting to hear.
Mystery

Re: Ridiculous or not ??

Postby The Tye » Fri Nov 18 2011, 11:34

I would imagine these letters are from the league but backed by the SCFA if unpaid. Any outstanding debts from the club that are unpaid are pro rata'd between all of the registered players, regardless of whether you have played no games, 1 game or 100. Angmering would have been fined by the WSFL for withdrawing from the league, an amount decided by the management committee, plus whatever other debts they may have had.

The worst thing about this is that the Sussex FA can suspend you from all football until this amount is payed. I can imagine that this may cause a few problems for the players who did register but also joined County teams?

It's been a while since I've come across something like this, so I stand to be corrected if wrong.
The Tye
Site Mod

Postby Mystery » Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:37

Quite a few players dualed signed with a county club as their first choice and AFC as their second team, how can they be deemed responsible for this?

The league have to be careful here because any club folding for whatever reason in the future could leave all fines unpaid and let the league chase innocent players for the shortfall. Dodgy ground surely?
Mystery

Postby The Tye » Fri Nov 18 2011, 12:56

It's pretty much standard practise. If you have any concerns speak to Ashley at the FA, but I'm fairly sure he will just say that's it's the responsibility of the registered players, regardless of whether they have played or not. I had same a similar probl at end of last season when the Brighton League side I signed on for (but never played for) folded. Fortunately I never received any such letter from that League or the FA yet.
The Tye
Site Mod

Postby peg951 » Fri Nov 18 2011, 13:00

for sake of 10pounds for all that Angmering have done for a lot of the players.people are moaning which are the ones that still owe money from last season.also didn't hear many moan when they were given a tracksuit which cost more then 10pounds but refuse to give it back. Im happy to pay the 10pounds myself, bob and Carl have put more then enough money in to the club and so have some morals and just pay it. 10pounds not really worth making a thread about it.
peg951

Postby Mystery » Fri Nov 18 2011, 13:23

peg951 wrote:for sake of 10pounds for all that Angmering have done for a lot of the players.people are moaning which are the ones that still owe money from last season.also didn't hear many moan when they were given a tracksuit which cost more then 10pounds but refuse to give it back. Im happy to pay the 10pounds myself, bob and Carl have put more then enough money in to the club and so have some morals and just pay it. 10pounds not really worth making a thread about it.

Ex player or club official??

Its not the amount of money, its the principle! The tracksuits we got the first season were paid for out of our own pockets, NOT by the club!!! AFC folded the team, not the players. Therefore why should we pay their fines? If i left the club and owed money would they pay it for me, Not a chance!!
Mystery

Postby Boredom » Fri Nov 18 2011, 13:58

Who has refused to give back a tracksuit?

I have never been asked to give mine back since I left the club.

It is also getting a bit boring reading posts from people who seem to just want to blame the few players that left the club at start of season (most of whom left a while before the season started) for the club folding.

If the club fold the team that is down to them not to the players.

If you owe money to the club then u should pay money to the club but again I haven't been made aware if I owe any money so that again is down to the club.

I know that if I get a letter from the league I won't be paying it and they can go ahead and ban me if they like.
Boredom

Postby ubfcron » Fri Nov 18 2011, 22:06

It really gets my nose up reading the posts about how and why AFC folded and whose fault it isn't.

At Beeding we struggled for years after we lost our County League players one pre season. We continued by using our WSFL Div 3 players who got beat every week for 3 years. We continued year after year trying to find managers and players knowing that we had Junior players that in a few years would make the step up. We are still recovering now!

Some here may also remember exactly the same thing happened to UBFC in the late 80's.. we left Brighton Premier to join WSFL in Div5 with only 16 year olds. It happens to nearly all cubs, especially Village Teams at some time.

Not once did we consider that by folding the club would be in anyone's interest, so I find it really difficult to understand why AFC couldn't have continued. in some other, albeit junior capacity.

Pay up, its in the WSFL rules, but then too many blokes, at all levels just want to turn up and play for nothing and expect 'The Club' or 'Committee' to make it all happen...
ubfcron

Postby Mystery » Fri Nov 18 2011, 22:47

The thread asks if people think its ridiculous or not that people that signed on for AFC in pre-season should be accountable for the clubs debt. Not how and why AFC folded and whos fault it was so i dont really understand that, if it bothers you that much dont read the post??

I wont bore you with what the club tried to salvage fom the mess in the summer as i wouldnt want it to get up your nose, but maybe dont judge untill you know all the facts.

Would you care to quote the rule where it says that players become accountable for a club debt in the case of the club folding, and if this is a rule where would it be on any league form that a player may have signed? I doubt it does! Also NOBODY at AFC ever played for nothing, we all paid match subs every week.
Mystery

Postby localdonkey » Sat Nov 19 2011, 08:56

Giving a simple answer to your question I would say it isn't ridiculous. It's going to be more fair for some players and less fair for other players. Life isn't always fair and you have to judge every unique situation on its merits. This is all to do with the system and no one is being cynically ripped off here. The system exists so that everyone can get out there and play football every week. In relation to Angmering F.C. continuing, as you and ubfcron have said, I am in complete agreement that they could and should have kept going. I really do sympathise with your viewpoint here. It might have been ugly, but so be it. Nevertheless, even if it was my first preseason with the club, and even if it was my second club and didn't expect to play much, I would still just grin, bear it and pay up. I am only an individual and have no personal interest in any of the parties concerned. Think about it. :|
We're now in lockdown mode. Just my opinion.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/27 ... -COVER-UP/
localdonkey

Postby ubfcron » Sat Nov 19 2011, 17:25

WSFL Handbook, Rule 14d
ubfcron

Postby Mystery » Mon Nov 21 2011, 10:27

ubfcron wrote:WSFL Handbook, Rule 14d

I will just dig out my copy that i got when i signed my registration card.......

Having taken things into consideration over the weekend i will be paying the £10 as i wish to continue playing football on a saturday afternoon but i will raise a couple of points.

- Any club folding in the future will leave all fines, unpaid fees etc to the league to collect from registered players. This could be despite those players being up to date with all Club signing on fees, Match subs and bookings owed to the club. Hardly fair on an honest player is it!

- AFC will rejoin the league next season with a clean slate because of players that are very unlikely to play for them.

The WSFL may wish to look at how they deal with things in the future. Dont except registration of a team untill they have paid the fee and also why fine a team for withdrawing from a league when they are obviously suffering hardship anyway, how is this going to help anyone!?

Oh, and make players aware of the fact they will be chased for money in the event of the club folding.
Mystery

Postby tommymac » Mon Nov 21 2011, 11:32

I've dual signed for a county team and a Saturday team with my mates for a laugh. And as a mate I would not expect them to pay my fine for me, I have played one game for them this season and got red carded so I've paid my fine for that already. Say I did not pay that fine would I really expect someone else to pay that for me?

When signing on you know the risks of something like this happening which is why I think it is not ridiculous, but yes probably unfair to some.

As mentioned the FA can and will stop you signing for another club until the fines are paid up as well.
tommymac

Postby Mystery » Mon Nov 21 2011, 11:59

tommymac wrote:I've dual signed for a county team and a Saturday team with my mates for a laugh. And as a mate I would not expect them to pay my fine for me, I have played one game for them this season and got red carded so I've paid my fine for that already. Say I did not pay that fine would I really expect someone else to pay that for me?

When signing on you know the risks of something like this happening which is why I think it is not ridiculous, but yes probably unfair to some.

As mentioned the FA can and will stop you signing for another club until the fines are paid up as well.

Are players aware of this though? This is my argument, not the £10. Not once in 13 years of playing mens football have i been told that if i club folds and owes money then no matter how innocent the players are, they are accountable. The club Chairman, secretary or treasurer should be. If i personally owed any Subs, league fines etc then i would happily pay up as was the case when i left yapton 5/6 years ago.
Mystery

Postby The Tye » Mon Nov 21 2011, 12:25

Mystery wrote:Are players aware of this though? This is my argument, not the £10. Not once in 13 years of playing mens football have i been told that if i club folds and owes money then no matter how innocent the players are, they are accountable. The club Chairman, secretary or treasurer should be. If i personally owed any Subs, league fines etc then i would happily pay up as was the case when i left yapton 5/6 years ago.

There are arguments to both sides here. I do agree it is harsh on the players who have kept up to date with subs or the ones who havent played etc, but it is in black and white in most leagues rules, or they should be (Rule 14D for all LDSFL players :lol: ), which are available on request.

I cant comment on what the WSFL registration form looks like, but below is the link to my Sunday Leagues Registration Form, where it clearly states that by signing the form you agree to be liable to a pro rata share of the clubs financial liabilities.

http://www.ldsfl.org.uk/ldsfl/upload/pl ... onform.pdf

Im curious to why you feel the Club Secretary/Treasurer/Chairman should be liable though and not the players?
The Tye
Site Mod

Next

Return to West Sussex FL