Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Season so far (who should we be watching)

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Season so far (who should we be watching)

Postby Fairplay » Wed Nov 30 2011, 14:13

Hi all,

I have travelled round a few different teams this year (some good and some really poor)

Would anyone be able to point me in the right way to see a good team playing good football?

Also who do you think will be going up this year? =D>
Fairplay

Re: Season so far (who should we be watching)

Postby Bert06 » Wed Nov 30 2011, 15:02

I've watched a fair amount of local football this year in the WSFL.

A couple clubs stand out.

Faygate Utd - have seen them a few times as I live nearby. Look very solid and play some nice stuff. I don't personally know any of the players but they seem to be getting good results in a notoriously tough league.

Henfield - they probably under-performed last season, and having lost a their first two matches last year I wasn't expecting much. However, I saw them against Lancing United on Saturday and they won easily, while I understand from a previous thread that they also hammered a previously fancied Alfold side so I guess they must be considered promotion candidates in Div 2 North? Looking at their website they have a number of players with County experience which can only help. From memory though their facilities are very poor so would they be permitted promotion to Intermediate football?

Others Holbrook (and Holbrook Res) and Forest Reserves from the lower divisions.

Have also seen a lot of County Div 2 and 3 football, and the core of the above teams would easily fit into that division.
Bert06

Postby Martyn » Thu Dec 01 2011, 12:05

Bert06 wrote:Faygate Utd - have seen them a few times as I live nearby. Look very solid and play some nice stuff. I don't personally know any of the players but they seem to be getting good results in a notoriously tough league.
It must have been a few weeks since you watched us because we have been rubbish the last few weeks - scratched our way through a couple of games.
Martyn

Postby Kellythistle3 » Thu Dec 01 2011, 16:47

Sompting FC in Worthing & district premier division seemed to be doing well having played 9 in the league won 9 with a goal difference of around 30+ aswell as in a cup quarter final & a cup semi final.
I've heard some good things and also saw them thrash lancing united in pre season 5-1.

Could be a good year if they can keep it up?
Kellythistle3

Postby recnal » Thu Dec 01 2011, 23:19

Lancing United seem to be a common theme here! :? I suppose it is because we keep getting battered at the moment, but hopefully the tides will turn.

Have to agree with a few posts here. Henfield are value for money and simply played us off the park last weekend with their attacking flair. Haven't seen Faygate this year but Henfield have them in the next round of the Centenary Cup so that will be an interesting game.

As for Sompting, they are a real hard working team who battle hard and have quality too, especially in Shaun Russell. However, they play in a weak league for me and they will only be judged by the games they play against L&S and Worthing leisure, and they havent played any of these teams yet....

If you look at the WSFL, it is a much more competitive league where teams rarely spank each other (except for West Chilt who seem to be scoring goals for fun! =D> )

Sompting have played 9 and won 9 but the team that speaks volumes is WBCOB. They struggled to finish mid table in WSFL Div 2 South last season but currently sit 2nd in the Worthing Prem with 6 wins from 8 games!

Does this reflect the difference in the top leagues between Worthing and WSFL or are WBCOB much improved?

I suppose history shows that the WSFL is stronger as the likes of Clymping, Dorking, Shipley, Barnham etc have all progressed quickly in the County League whilst Ferring appear to be finding it more difficult.

Any thoughts anyone? Would be interested to hear any opinions.....

P.S, good side to watch this year is Sidlesham for me. Very good team who work hard and have a lot of quality throughout.
Form is temporary, class is permanent...
recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC

Postby FancyaFryUp » Fri Dec 02 2011, 09:43

Quite a fair shout Sooty...And TBF to Lancing United you going to get grief where you stand in the table currently and really with the sides in your District doing well your their to be shot at, so a-bit harsh really.
Surely with a few new faces next year LUFC could compete too =D>
However I dont think either league is as strong as it has been in the last 5 years or so but that's just my opinion #-o
"Eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms, sausages, fried bread & a mineral water"
FancyaFryUp

Non League Club: GSK Sports FC
Twitter Acct: @mikemccaffreyuk

Postby Supeteddy » Sat Dec 03 2011, 12:22

Henfield are very strong we played very badly at their place and we got what we deserved. Glad to see Faygate doing so well this year some really good people running that club. I
saw AFC Roffey play last week sorry Forest reserves ;) they are playing way below where they should be. SIDS look good value for a swift return to County 3 which kind of upsets the common theory that the WSFL Prem was as strong as County 3 however I feel the quality of teams may have dropped a little but this is making for a more competitive league season.
Hold on i'll just say my secret magic word...
Supeteddy

Postby Kellythistle3 » Sat Dec 03 2011, 18:59

Sompting today destroyed L&S 3-0 and if it wasn't for their keeper rappo it could have easily been 7 or 8!
Kellythistle3

Postby hollywoodbeanzy » Sat Dec 03 2011, 19:37

Go on the sompting boys!

Good to see Sean Russell playing for em original peveril close lad
hollywoodbeanzy

Non League Club: Nowhere at the moment.....

Postby Been there seen it » Sat Dec 03 2011, 20:37

Watched Sompting v L & S today Sompting well worth there win but dont run before you can walk. Keep a level head and the desire you showed today and you have a chance. WSFL week in week out is a tougher league than the Worthing league but the top 3 sides in the WDFL are a match for any team in the WSFL.
Been there seen it

Postby Been there seen it » Sat Dec 03 2011, 20:47

Mr Thistlle3 dont get to big for your boots.
Been there seen it

Postby recnal » Sat Dec 03 2011, 21:27

well done to Sompting...my home town!

In fact, no one could have grown up closer to sompting rec than me hey Hollywood!

Great win for Sompting, and a cup they will now go on and surely win.

As for you Macca....You are right bud, we are easy targets at Lancing Utd but today is a good day as we were the only team in the parish of Lancing to win a game! Lancing FC lost, L&S lost and we won, 1-0 v Clymping Ressies =D> A rare happy day for the Souter household this season....long may it continue :lol:

PS, was at Culver Road for the second half and extra time and Lancing were unlucky. Error from the keeper for the 2nd and Lancing were caught on the brwak for the 3rd whilst trying to equalise. Good game, but just a bit unlucky for Lancing. Good crowd though and the bar takings must have been good, especially with me and the Cousin getting a free pass for the evening!!!
Form is temporary, class is permanent...
recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC

Postby hollywoodbeanzy » Sun Dec 04 2011, 08:35

About a 2 metre walk!
hollywoodbeanzy

Non League Club: Nowhere at the moment.....

Return to West Sussex FL