Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

No more web teams sites for local football!

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

No more web teams sites for local football!

Postby recnal » Fri Dec 09 2011, 18:46

Real shame that web teams has decided to call it a day and that they have passed their business over to Pitchero.

No disrespect to Pitchero but their sites are a lot less user friendly than web teams and are more complicated and time consuming to update.

At Lancing United we have run a web teams site for 5 years and we get over 60,000 hits a season. The website has helped us to advertise events, get new players along and also have a bit of friendly banter with our rivals in the leagues which is always good fun :lol:

Web teams was easy to update, allowing us to keep our members, followers and players updated, but after spending a few hours trying to find my way around Pitchero I have decided to not bother and simply shut down our site until I find something closer to Web teams. After all, keeping a website up to date, fresh and interesting needs to be an easy job, and Pitchero seems a bit too difficult at this stage.

This is a real shame and I hope that Stephen from web teams rises from the flames and gets some financial backing so that he can get web teams back up and running again one day soon.

Real shame for local teams who use web teams and the end of some good banter which will make the weekends a bit less fun now :(

Sooty
Form is temporary, class is permanent...
recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC

Re: No more web teams sites for local football!

Postby cousin » Fri Dec 09 2011, 19:53

Totally agree Glenn, web teams was one of the things that lancing utd could claim to be the best at locally :D short term is that all local clubs sign up to facebook and twitter so that the much loved banter can continue :!:
cousin

Postby Geoff » Fri Dec 09 2011, 22:15

It ain't a 'passing over of business' it's a buyout, and obviously there was no money it it for web teams but an obvious buy out for Pitchero. Give it a little while and it won't be free anymore.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby recnal » Sat Dec 10 2011, 07:50

yeah, saw that already Geoff with Pitchero advertising that it will cost £12 a month going forward! Bit steep compared to the £15 a season we used to pay for Web Teams.

By all accounts this season will remain free as all teams have already paid Web Teams but next season it will obviously change!

Bit sad really that Web Teams has gone as the format was really simple and easy to use and that was its selling point! Pitchero is the complete opposite and I have already decided to stop running the site for Lancing United.

The only positive is that I won't get in to trouble any more winding people up :lol:
recnal

Postby Mystery » Mon Dec 12 2011, 09:47

This is a real shame, always liked the webteams sites since i did one for my sunday side years ago. I am not keen on pitchero like most others, to the point that if i go on a club site and it is pitchero i dont bother looking any further than the home page.

As for sooty's lancing site, it will be missed. Always enjoyed reading it (as well as Upper beedings), could keep up to date with all the Prem latest just by reading those 2 sites which was handy now that i am no longer playing in that league.

Sooty, get on twitter. Next best thing at the moment to keep everyone interested. Upper beeding already on there =D>
Mystery

Postby themarkybizzle » Mon Dec 12 2011, 12:59

Agree with everything said so far.

Although I dont play in the West Sussex League I have always enjoyed reading Lancing Uniteds web page as well as Angmerings when they were playing.

Playing on a Sunday there are a lot of teams that kept their webteams up to date and it was great reading transfer rumours, match reports etc...

I also spent a lot of time updating our Ajax LA web page and it now seems for nothing!
themarkybizzle

Postby GeordiePhantom » Mon Dec 12 2011, 13:12

recnal wrote:yeah, saw that already Geoff with Pitchero advertising that it will cost £12 a month going forward! Bit steep compared to the £15 a season we used to pay for Web Teams.

I don't know what you used to get with Webteams, but the Pitchero system is free, but if you want the plug-in to message your team, collect club subs, do a club shop, then you have to pay the £12 per month.

I have used Pitchero since the start of this season for Rustington and it has saved me a load of time in the admin side of things, and together with Hailsham & Midhurst we make sure that the County 2, County Res West is always up to date with results etc.

The only negative that I have is that (it's a web thing) if you want to make sure your domain name is always visible in the browser bar (ie blind redirecting) then you do have to pay for it, but as I have my own web servers, I just use mine.
GeordiePhantom

Non League Club: Rustington FC
Pro Club: Newcastle United
Twitter Acct: @GeordieSabre

Postby recnal » Mon Dec 12 2011, 14:40

Mystery wrote:This is a real shame, always liked the webteams sites since i did one for my sunday side years ago. I am not keen on pitchero like most others, to the point that if i go on a club site and it is pitchero i dont bother looking any further than the home page.

As for sooty's lancing site, it will be missed. Always enjoyed reading it (as well as Upper beedings), could keep up to date with all the Prem latest just by reading those 2 sites which was handy now that i am no longer playing in that league.

Sooty, get on twitter. Next best thing at the moment to keep everyone interested. Upper beeding already on there =D>

We were on Twitter a few years back, so I have dug out the password and got it going again!

New website will be set up over Xmas but if you want some banter and gossip from the WSFL then follow us on @LancingUnitedFC =D>
recnal

Postby markb » Fri Dec 16 2011, 14:29

If its of any interest, after looking around at various websites, we at Billingshurst FC have decided to go with Clubwebsite.co.uk so to keep up to date with everything happening at the football club please visit - www.clubwebsite.co.uk/billingshurstfc01
markb

Postby PBT » Sun Jan 29 2012, 21:57

Will we get our money back, Webteams took our £15s then decided to ditch their site 1/4 of the way through the season! :twisted:
PBT

Location: AFC Aymer, Brighton North End (RIP), O&G Utd, Rottingdean Village

Return to West Sussex FL