Find us on facebook

Malcolm Simmons Cup Final

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Malcolm Simmons Cup Final

Postby Ledley King » Wed May 16 2012, 07:56

Sidlesham 3-3 Billingshurst (Billingshurst won 5-4 on Pens)

It turned out to be Billingshurst night. With the first goal coming 15minutes into the second half with sidlesham giving the ball away poorly resulting in Billingshursts right winger being put through to thump the ball past the sids keeper. Straight from kick come the 2nd after the ball got played back to the sidlesham keeper and on the clearence the ball rebounded back into his own net. With a mad 2minutes sidlesham found themselves 2-0 down. Was always going to be an uphill battle without Sidlesham having a goalkeeper because his wife went into labour resulting in there center midfeilder going in. 10 minutes remaining Sidleham battled and was rewarded well worked goal going down the right hand side. Sidlesham pushed and got what they deserved a second Goal from Dan Bassil with a few minutes to go.
Extra Time- There was plenty of tired legs but it was sidlesham that took the lead after there striker slotted home a one on one with Hurst's Keeper. 5 minutes later a silly free kick given on the half way line by sidlesham taken quickly found hurst's right midfeidler through on goal to make it 3-3. Sidlesham then was down to ten men after there center midfeilder was shown red. This Ref was looking for his red all night when it come to Sidlesham. First 3 fouls of the game resulted in 3 yellow cards. Its a shame he didnt carry the consistancy on when hursts midfeilder elbowed sidleshams right back. The ref bottled it!
Penalties- Billinghurst Won 5-4.. no need to say anything else. x_x

We talk about it all the time the consistency of referee's.. This one was disappointing tonight, Normally one of the best refs we have at this standard. :-?

Well Done to Billingshurst this season for the double, Good Luck in County 3 next year! Dont do a Roffey!
Ledley King

Re: Malcolm Simmons Cup Final

Postby Barbie » Wed May 16 2012, 08:26

I don't usually post in this section (for obvious reasons) but I'm so glad I took the long trundle to 'rundel last night.
What a fantastic game! I thought both sides would be a credit to County 3 - and could even give a few County 2 sides a run for their money.
For the first 40 minutes, I thought that Sidlesham dominated and could have been out of sight by the time Billingshurst got up to speed.
Ref seemed a bit card happy early on but overall thought he had a good game.
Billingshurst seemed to wake up late in the 1st half and could have had the lead at the break with a period of sustained pressure.
After the break, Sidlesham wrested the initiative back but suddenly Billingshurst seemed to identify a weakness and right winger, Luke Hickling, started to cause lots of problems. When he finally took the chance to cut in and shoot rather than cross, Billingshurst took the lead and within seconds they were 2 up as Sidlesham put the ball back to the keeper from the restart only for his clearance to be charged down into the net.
I'm surprised that the Sid's keeper was an outfield player, I thought he had a great game overall.
Sidlesham could have reduced the deficit straight from the restart, the striker rounded the keeper but was forced just too wide for a shot, cut the ball back only for the subsequent effort to go just wide of the gaping net.
Once Hickling was withdrawn (possibly to save him from being sent off?), the game seemed to change again and Sidlesham came roaring back, reducing the deficit with 15 minutes to go before a dramatic equaliser in the 3rd minute of stoppage time.
When Sidlesham took the lead midway through the first period of extra time, it looked like they'd push on to seal it - only for Billingshurst to tie it up just before the break. The second period of extra time proved just as frantic, with Sidlesham being reduced to 10 men just before the end for foul and abusive language.
Even the shoot out ebbed and flowed. Billingshurst missed their first spot kick, Sidlesham had their 4th saved before it went to sudden death when another save gave Billingshurst the spoils.
Brilliant advert for West Sussex League footie. Good noisy crowd. Really glad I made the long trip west (to the surprise of some Sidlesham supporters I chatted with). Home just before midnight.
Well done both teams. :ymapplause:

And I almost forgot the pitch invasion by the ducks that hang out by the tea bar, just after the kick off. :))
Rye United website has moved from ryefc.co.uk to http://ryeutd.com
Barbie

Non League Club: Rye Utd
Pro Club: (once upon a time) Barry Town
Twitter Acct: @ryeunited

Postby Ledley King » Wed May 16 2012, 09:26

Thats a fair report barbie :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Ledley King

Postby Roy Grantham » Wed May 16 2012, 09:59

It was a really tight game with both teams pretty much cancelling each other out. The first half was boring. We played too long which was in the hands of the Sids centre backs but the few times we did get it wide, especially right hand side, we caused problems.

Luke came off because he was blowing, not because he was going to get sent off! He had a great game but I think he has been in and out of the side so wasn’t quite match fit. Either way, he tore the Sids left back a new A hole!

I thought the ref was alright to be fair, although he made a pretty significant error for the Sids equaliser. I went up for a header, got smashed from the side so flicked it on to the left winger who slotted it home.

The ref told me that it was my own player but it was clearly the Sids striker who told me that I ran straight into him! No contact from our centre back so it was a clear foul. Obviously significant as that was the equaliser. He then booked me about 5 mins later as I said “ref, that is definitely our throw”. As for the sending off, the guy swore at him and he did warn us prior to the game that swearing at the ref would be a straight red. Saying that, it was harsh in my eyes seeing as Tilley had just chopped the Sids centre back in half with a high tackle…but again, it came from the fact that a clear foul was missed when Annis was tripped on the edge of the box so more of a frustrated tackle. All in all, a little trigger happy but I think he needed to be as Sids are a very physical side and so it certainly kept a hold on the game.

We have beaten them home and away this year so I guess we went in as favourites but if that was a league game, I would say a draw would have been a fair result. We had so many chances but just didn’t capitalise and essentially let them back in the game but all credit to Sids who were relentless and played really well.

Either way, nice to get the double! :-bd
No Pain, No Glory
Roy Grantham

Postby Big Sus » Fri May 18 2012, 10:00

Roy, WTF are you doing paying in the WSFL ??
Ian Saunders
Follow the stags at [color=#0000FF]http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/midhurstandeasebournefc
Follow Petersfield Town FC at http://www.petersfieldtownfc.co.uk
Big Sus

Non League Club: Petersfield Town FC
Pro Club: Plymouth Argyle
Twitter Acct: @BigSus1975

Postby Roy Grantham » Mon May 21 2012, 14:54

Big Sus wrote:Roy, WTF are you doing paying in the WSFL ??

Big Sus! You well? So I started playing at Redhill and then I got injured, hyperextended my knee in November and was out for 6 months. I have always signed for Mark at Billingshurst with a view that I would help out if they were short or if we had a week off etc but it just turned out that I ended up playing a fair few games at the end of this season when they have a massive figure clog, playing 3 games a week! I know a lot of the boys down there and they have a decent side so it was great to be involved. So yeah, thats why!
No Pain, No Glory
Roy Grantham

Postby goalscorer » Mon May 21 2012, 17:22

Surely that can't be THE Darren Annis?
goalscorer

Postby Mystery » Tue May 22 2012, 08:40

Yes it is!
Mystery

Postby Roy Grantham » Tue May 22 2012, 09:58

goalscorer wrote:Surely that can't be THE Darren Annis?

Certainly is Cham!
No Pain, No Glory
Roy Grantham

Return to West Sussex FL