Rep Team - WSFL v Worthing League

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Rep Team - WSFL v Worthing League

Postby recnal » Thu Nov 15 2012, 18:42

After destroying the Mid Sussex League 7-1, the Worthing League faced more formidable opponents last night in the shape of a newly formed WSFL side.

Played at Arundel, the WSFL turned out 6-0 winners with goals from Kristian Harding (2), James Wrigley (2), Sam Witherden and Barry Plank with the opener.

A cracking game for the WSFL side who also hit the wood work 3 times and had 2 chances cleared off the line.

There were a few weird decisions from the Lino, especially for the 2nd WSFL goal but the Worthing league were comprehensively beaten on the night by a superior outfit.

Having managed the team for the first time last night I must say all of the lads were a pleasure to work with, putting everything I asked of them into action from the word go and working tirelessly for 90 minutes.

Steve Scott from Henfield was MOM closely followed by Leo Trower from Beeding, Matt Mason from Fittleworth and Barry Plank from Lancing United. James Wrigley was also top drawer as skipper, leading by example.

Interestingly, 8 of the 14 man WSFL squad ply their trade outside of the Prem, showing just how strong the lower leagues are!

WSFL squad as follows.....

Wadey (Petworth), Price (Henfield), Plank (Lancing United), Gander (Henfield), Mason (Fittleworth), Trower (Beeding), Beale (Lancing United), Wrigley (C) (Cowfold), Scott (Henfield), Harding (Cowfold), Witherden (Henfield).....Subs - Thomas (Billingshurst), Bennett (Yapton) and Freeman (West Chilt).

Well done lads :ymapplause:
Form is temporary, class is permanent...

recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC
  • Website

Re: Rep Team - WSFL v Worthing League

Postby Mystery » Thu Nov 15 2012, 19:42

Great result for your boys Sooty.

One question though, how does Thomas from Billingshurst qualify for the rep team if they play in county 3? Because I also thought that anyone WSFL Div 3 and below were not eligible for the rep team. I may be wrong though.

Not trying to take anything away from the result, just wondered.
Mystery

Postby recnal » Thu Nov 15 2012, 21:28

Registered for Billingshurst in the WSFL mate where the ressies play Div 2 North As you know, you register for a club, not a team. He also hasn't played for County 3 Rep team, so is eligible for us.

Bit like Lee Garnahm really who was registered for Lancing FC and playing County 1 but moved to L&S and played in the Worthing Rep game against Mid Sussex, scoring a hat trick in the 7-1 win. Only difference is our player stepped up instead of down.

Will be interesting next time especially as we have the likes of Gary Weedon and a few others to come back in.

recnal

• Website

Postby Mystery » Thu Nov 15 2012, 22:39

Cheers for clearing that up mate.

That also makes me eligible then
Mystery

Postby Cowden Mavericks » Fri Nov 16 2012, 09:39

bringing in county 3 players because their registered for a reserve team??? not sure i'm a fan of that.
Up the Mavs!

Cowden Mavericks

• Website

Postby recnal » Sat Nov 17 2012, 08:33

Think you misunderstood fella,

Remi Thomas, the lad in question, doesn't play for Billingshurst in County 3, he plays for Billingshurst 3rd team in WSFL Div 4, so the complete opposite to watch you are implying. The fact that Billingshurst Ressies play in WSFL Div 2 makes him eligible, hence me saying he was "playing up a level" and not down.

Hope that clears it up....In fact, if you look at the final XI that finished the game for the WSFL, only 5 played in the Prem with all of the others plying their trade in Div 1 and 2.

recnal

• Website

Postby sammylee » Sat Nov 17 2012, 21:52

find it strange, not one player from top sides of prem...have you not seen these or do you think the players you picked are better?

sammylee

Postby recnal » Sun Nov 18 2012, 09:08

Always a difficult one this, but my theory is that it is not always the best players that make up the best team...

You have to get the balance right for the formation that you are playing and we got this spot on Wednesday.

The lads playing in the lower leagues are mainly playing below the level they are capable of as they want to play with mates.

Unfortunately I have not seen any Faygate games yet, but we have them Saturday so I can have a look at a few of them then. Ben Blanshard from Bosham was in the squad but picked up a knock and Wrigley, Tucker and Harding from Cowfold were also in the squad. Cowfold are a top side in the prem so you have a few there.

Also, if you have a look at the WSFL Prem table, it is hard to work out who the top sides are! Faygate lost to Bosham Saturday, West Chilt lost to us and Hunston lost to Pulborough therefore I would say all the sides in the Prem are on a prety level playing field.

As always though, selection of a rep squad is always personal opinion and I suppose the results determine whether the selection was right or not

recnal

• Website

Postby The longest name » Sun Nov 18 2012, 12:38

I do find it strange that a mid table county three team that got relegated last year and have only lost 1 player didn't supply any players to the rep team. But you can't argue with the result so fair play. Players who should be in the squad
McCoy wittering
Blanch bosham injured
Edgington bosham
Dowdham bosham
All class players who play with there mates all would play top county 2 if not county 1.
The longest name

Postby recnal » Sun Nov 18 2012, 14:55

Thanks for the advice Brad,

What positions do McCoy, Edington and Dowdham play? Not sure either of the Bosham boys played when we beat them early in the season but Blanch did and he looks a very cultured centre half.

There are a few others to draft in too (Weedon from West Chilt and Hind from Beeding to name a few), but with only 3 games left to play, the lads who played against the Worthing League have earnt the shirt and will keep it unless they are injured.

Great to have good options though and all of the managers are willing to let players go which is always encouraging.

recnal

• Website

Postby The longest name » Sun Nov 18 2012, 20:11

Do agree they have earnt their shirt and is very difficult to change things. Rep teams are very hard to run too everyone has an opinion too sorry.
McCoy centre half been at Guildford, Chichester
Edgington striker but plays centre mid been at hayling second top scorer in wessex league a couple of years ago Bognor wanted him but works more important
Dowdham left mid been at bosham three years eye for a goal was at hayling try to get him to petersfield way too good for bosham sorry guys
Banch hard as nails great old fashioned centre half
The longest name

Postby markb » Sun Nov 18 2012, 22:00

Sooty.
Didn't realise you were at the helm as I thought Terry Fox was running the side? Great result for you as I assume you wouldn't have had a great deal of time to sort it? See you went for some known and trusted players as well as some talent at lower league clubs that I know you would have been aware of. To those who question your judgement, there is no need guys as Sooty knows his stuff and the side is in good hands.

Your reference to the Prem this year, what's happened? You're all beating each other, the league looks very tight and you've got your side battling at the right end of the table. Looks to be an exciting season? Well done.
markb

Postby FancyaFryUp » Mon Nov 19 2012, 16:01

Whether Remi should had played or not isnt really a point he was allowed to play under the rules and to be fair to Sooty they destroyed the Worthing League and the aforementioned player only player 20 minutes.
By far the best team on the night, however I know they (Worthing) were let down again by 4 individuals - but still irrelevant as they (WSFL) would have still won on the night IMHO.
Im pretty sure my judgement on the match is fair seeing as I was in the opposing dugout

Good luck to the lads for their next games
"Eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms, sausages, fried bread & a mineral water"

FancyaFryUp

Non League Club: GSK Sports FC
Twitter Acct: @mikemccaffreyuk

Post a reply

Return to West Sussex FL