Worthing & District League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Monday 19th Results

Postby Mullet » Tue Apr 20 2010, 08:03

MS Prem: Lindfield 2 – 1 Eastbourne Boro III

Scorers: Walsh, Mayne

The firsts took a huge step towards winning the league with a hard fought but deserved 2 – 1 win over EB III. The first half was tight with plenty of tackles going in and few chances. Strevett in the middle for EB III was trying to pull the strings but Pears and Rabbetts were superb for the swans, denying him any space. A mistake from Chapman in dealing with a high ball gave EB III the lead. The lads fought back well and put the visitors on the back foot for the latter part of the half, a mistake from the EB III defender allowed Mayne in and he made it 1 – 1. Pullinger missed a good chance to put us 2 – 1 up as well as their keeper was out quickly.
The 2nd half was tight again with both defences playing well and few chances for either side. MacDonald and Goodeve marshalled the backline well and the fronts started outworking their visitors as the half went on. Goodeve headed wide from a corner and MacDonald nodded just over from another set piece. Their right back was given a torrid time and was warned several times before picking up a booking for a poor challenge on Dodds. The freekick came in and Walsh turned the ball back across goal where a superb last ditch tackle denied Mayne a 2nd. EB came back with Piper starting to cause problems, he held off Ternouth and Pears before unleashing an unstoppable shot that crashed against the bar. Walshy was brought down by their right back (who was walking a fine line!) and Dodds fired another ball in which was well cleared by their skipper. Then Walsh played in Mike MacDonald who was tripped in the box by their right back, the ref gave the penalty and Walsh kept his cool to fire the ball home. EB III came back with Strevett whipping in a cross come shot from the left which Chapman turned over. Rabbetts and Pears were superb in the middle with this Strevett’s only real contribution although he does look a class player. Ranson then released Walsh and he held off the defender well but sliced his left foot shot wide. The game bolied over on 85 minutes when Piper tussled with Ternouth who cleared the ball, the Eastbourne forward Piper then deliberately struck Ternouth with his elbow after the ball had gone. It was pretty out of keeping with the game which had been very competitive but not malicious. The ref was facing the other way (watching the ball) when it happened and players from both sides got unnecessarily involved. The ref did well to sort out the handbags afterward but couldn’t do anything as he had not seen the incident…Piper was a lucky boy!!

The lads held firm for the last few minutes to put themselves 16 points clear of EB III who have 4 games in hand. MoM was a tough one with the whole team working exceptionally hard but Matt MacDonald, Rabbetts and Pears were the pick of the Lindfield players.
Last edited by Mullet on Wed Apr 21 2010, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Up the Swans!!!

www.lindfieldfc.com/
Mullet

Re: Monday 19th Results

Postby marshycm1 » Tue Apr 20 2010, 08:54

Congrats. Should be enough to keep the title in Mid Sussex where it belongs...

I did come and watch the first half which was very even i thought, E Boro having the better of the first 20 mins and taking the lead and then you responded and were quite on top for the remanider of the half equalising.
Both goals were shockers for the defences though.

When i left at h/t i would have bet you shaded it in the end.

Congrats again.
marshycm1

Postby Mullet » Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:20

Cheers,

We need 2 wins out of 3 to make sure of title if EB III win their remaining 7 games. I didnt get down until half time so first half report written on what i was told - it did sound like both first half goals were shockers from the defences!!
Up the Swans!!!

www.lindfieldfc.com/
Mullet

Postby heathfielder » Tue Apr 20 2010, 14:23

Mullet wrote:MS Prem: Lindfield 2 – 1 Eastbourne Boro III

Scorers: Walsh, Mayne

The firsts took a huge step towards winning the league with a hard fought but deserved 2 – 1 win over EB III. The first half was tight with plenty of tackles going in and few chances. Morton in the middle for EB III was trying to pull the strings but Pears and Rabbetts were superb for the swans, denying him any space.

Sam normally plays upfront for EB III or least has done for most games I've seen him play this season, you sure their CM wasn't Ethan Strevett? Both very good players regardless
If only I could play football . . ..
heathfielder

Location: Willingdon Athletic (Mid Sussex Prem) & Garden Bar (LDSL)

Postby marshycm1 » Tue Apr 20 2010, 15:01

I dont know the naems of the Boro III players, but the lad that played 10 sort of ginger hair is a bloody good player i think. Middle of the park he played.
marshycm1

Postby Mullet » Tue Apr 20 2010, 16:21

Possibly heathfielder! He was the ginger haired lad, wore ten and played centre mid against us I thought he was called morton but could have been wrong! The other guy who was good was Piper (up until his Leonardo elbow moment!), big, strong striker with a good touch and hell of a shot.
Up the Swans!!!

www.lindfieldfc.com/
Mullet

Postby Beaky » Tue Apr 20 2010, 19:12

Uckfield 1 -3 Jarvis Brook

A well deserved win in an entertaining local derby, goals from Frampton 2 and Turner, with Booth scoring for Town.
I thought Mozza refereed the game well from his spot at centre half
My nose is not big, my face is just small!!!

Beaky

Postby scflfan » Tue Apr 20 2010, 19:15

WSFL Premier
Cowfold 6 V 1 Southwater
Richard Smallwood
scflfan

Pro Club: Southampton

Postby heathfielder » Wed Apr 21 2010, 11:35

Mullet wrote:Possibly heathfielder! He was the ginger haired lad, wore ten and played centre mid against us I thought he was called morton but could have been wrong! The other guy who was good was Piper (up until his Leonardo elbow moment!), big, strong striker with a good touch and hell of a shot.

Yeah thats Ethan. Best player I've seen at this standard, but to be fair he should be in with a shout of the first team squad. Hats off to Lindfield, I would have put money on EB III winning this league with the players they have in their squad, but Lindfield obviously must have a very good side also. I only saw them once this season (lost 5-1 to Willingdon) but based on the season as a whole, that must have been a slight off game for them. First year I've played/seen teams in the Mid Sussex league and I've been pretty impressed compared to the ESPL, which is a more physical and probably less technical league (given heathfield/hawkhurst no longer there).
heathfielder

Postby thegaffer » Wed Apr 21 2010, 11:51

Mullet

Well done to you and the boys (Not Walsh )No a great achievement if you do win it.
This year was a tough league.Hopefully next year we get a better start and challenge you if you dont go up.
thegaffer

Postby Mullet » Wed Apr 21 2010, 12:31

thegaffer wrote:Mullet

Well done to you and the boys (Not Walsh )No a great achievement if you do win it.
This year was a tough league.Hopefully next year we get a better start and challenge you if you dont go up.

Cheers, although we need another 6 points to make sure! I'd love to take some credit but unfortunately I don't get anywhere near getting in the front side. The manager says its apparently something to do with my 2nd touch always being a tackle :oops: am probably above my station in Div 2 for the reserves to be honest!!

Heathfielder, the 5 - 1 was a definate off day which the firsts are prone to on occaision. We have willingdon in the monty final so the fronts will be looking to avenge that defeat. We did the double over EB III this year which was satisifying given the standard of some of their players - Apparently Strevett and Piper were going to be in the EB reserve squad wednesday night against Millwall reserves - slightly different level to us at Leylands!
Up the Swans!!!

www.lindfieldfc.com/
Mullet

Postby heathfielder » Wed Apr 21 2010, 15:10

Heathfielder, the 5 - 1 was a definate off day which the firsts are prone to on occaision. We have willingdon in the monty final so the fronts will be looking to avenge that defeat. We did the double over EB III this year which was satisifying given the standard of some of their players - Apparently Strevett and Piper were going to be in the EB reserve squad wednesday night against Millwall reserves - slightly different level to us at Leylands![/quote]

Love the honesty Mullet!! I'd like to say I'd be in that game. . . but I'm in a Gareth Bale situation from 6 months ago. . . out in the cold and in the reserves. . . :lol: something about not passing enough - It's not my fault Im cr@p!!1

I'll be watching and cheering the lads on though, should be a good encounter!!
heathfielder

Postby thegaffer » Wed Apr 21 2010, 20:27

Mullet

Should be a good final.Must say though i do find it a little strange that the game is at leylands
Surely as this is your home ground it would be fair to move it to a neutral ground .Just a thought!!!
thegaffer

Post a reply

Return to Worthing & District