worthing premier 2010 2011

[ Facebook comments]

Worthing & District League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

worthing premier 2010 2011

Postby ferring fc » Fri Sep 03 2010, 14:09

who will win worthing premier this season . any thoughts. andy.g.
ferring fc

Re: worthing premier 2010 2011

Postby buzzlightyear » Fri Sep 03 2010, 21:56

Think it will be 3 leagues in one.
L and S and Leisure challenging for title - both good sides, few others playing for third
and then 2 or 3 other sides just in the division to make up the numbers.
Not really sure if promoting sides that finished halfway down Division 1 last
season is a good idea..........
buzzlightyear

Postby jeffers » Sun Sep 05 2010, 08:21

gsk have looked strong in pre season doing well in the glebelands so they could be up there too. I do agree l&s will definately be a hard team to beat as will leisure.
jeffers

Postby Rabbits XI » Mon Sep 06 2010, 10:54

Judging by results from Saturday can see the title being decided in two fixtures between L+S and Worthing Leisure.

Sompting are good, GSK are good, RBL and Ferring have talent but none capable of putting together a good enough run of results to seriously challenge.

I think everyone else is there to make up numbers, fill division spots.

Would have been more interesting to see a better make-up of divisions with teams like Real Rustington, Broadwater CC, Goring CC, Worthing Dynamos, Goring Rangers, Diverse Cultures in the Premier... Would make it alot more competative.

Any reports from the weekend's matches?
Rabbits XI

Postby buzzlightyear » Mon Sep 06 2010, 18:53

Totally agree. Those sides you mentioned have all held their own against Premier opposition in cups
and pre season tournaments. The team I play for, Worthing Albion, have been promoted despite finishing 18 points and 4 places off the League 1 winners last season. We got promoted in similar circumstances 2 seasons ago and in our maiden Premier campaign amassed a 'massive' 10 points and got relegated. I understand the Committee have a tough job balancing out the divisions but I do feel our 'promotion' isn't suitable or particularly fair on us or the other sides in the division who all, like us, just want to play competitive but enjoyable games on a Saturday afternoon. We have now lost 2 or 3 players and have a season of struggle ahead. On our day we are capable of giving anyone a game but it looks like we have many fruitless afternoons of chasing shadows and trying to keep the score respectable ahead!!
Durrington RAFA on Saturday so we will see how our season begins.............
buzzlightyear

Postby Rabbits XI » Tue Sep 07 2010, 14:40

Well perhaps the Worthing League Committee should take a few more opinions... No disrespect to you or your team, but if you are not worthy of being in the top division then it seems pointless putting you there. A long season of "chasing shadows" does not encourage people to play week in week out. If you had won the division and earnt your place in the Premier on merit then you should be giving it a shot.

The teams previously mentioned are filled with players who have played at higher standards than Worthing League Premier. Although age and commitment may prevent them from playing higher nowdays, playing in the lower lower divisions these teams are in makes it pointless for the teams in those divisions of that standard.

Unfortunately there seems to be a process in which teams are formed, have two or three seasons of great success winning cups and league titles, they get in the Premier and disband. Its all the same people in a four year cycle just playing under a different club name.

Good luck to you and Worthing Albion, nice club, friendly people... Can definately beat Durrington RAFA!
Rabbits XI

Postby buzzlightyear » Tue Sep 07 2010, 20:37

We did contact the League and informed them of our concerns but were apparently given two options - go up or disband!
This season is the clubs 10th which is a good achievement considering, as you say, the amount of teams that disappear once the trophies get harder to win. Maybe the League ask the long established clubs to 'make up the numbers' in the top division as they know the chances of them saying no are less - Goring St Theresas and Northbrook have also gone up and they both have been around for a few years too. (no disrespect to either of those clubs as we had 4 good, competitive games against them last season!)

Many thanks for your message of good luck.

Hopefully we can start the season positively on Saturday.
buzzlightyear

Postby themarkybizzle » Wed Oct 06 2010, 14:18

If the league officials did put a little bit more effort in then they would see the likes of Broadwater CC, Real Rustington, Worthing Dynamos etc... Should probably be playing in the Premier Division and perhaps a few clubs who were promoted this year (I dont wish to name them as I dont want to offend any + I have to play them week in week out and dont wish to get injured!!! ) perhaps should have had the chance to fight for the Division 1 title.

But with the way it is I hope that teams in the Premier Division don't drop out because I honestly feel that on any given day the clubs from the bottom half of the league can beat teams from the top half and thats what we need to see.

Personally for me the league is going to be fought out between:

Sompting - Physical at the back and in the middle of the park. Technically good and fast upfront
L & S - Again a physically strong team but with a plethora of attacking talent.
Worthing Leisure - Vastly experienced all over the park, can turn from a short passing game to the direct one when needed without any hassle at all. Lots of strength in depth too.
GSK - Retained much of the same team from last year as well as adding younger talent in 3 or 4 different positions. Good work ethic and can get the ball down and play as well as anyone.
themarkybizzle

Postby Rabbits XI » Sat Oct 09 2010, 21:01

Think Shoreham RBL will turn a few heads as well if they can manage to keep their own...

Already drew with L+S, and beat GSK in a Cup...

Sadly there will be some very one-sided games too... Goal difference could be a decider!
Rabbits XI

Post a reply

Return to Worthing & District