Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Do we need OR indeed WANT Beckham in S.A.

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Re: Do we need OR indeed WANT Beckham in S.A.

Postby frank » Thu Dec 17 2009, 09:19

After watching last nights game between Tottenham and Man City I have had second thoughts about Englands A and B plans.
If, barring injuries, Englands A choise striking line up of Rooney, Heskey and Wright-Philips isn,t working then Defoe, Crouch and Lennon would make an excellent B plan.

Huddlestone did not look good enough but Dawson would make an excellent replacement for Ferdinand or Terry if they got injured rather than Upson, Lescott or Brown or even a fit Lesley King come to that.
Richards of Man City looked way off the radar as did Anuoa.

Milner must have penciled his own name on the list by now, so along with SWP, Carrick, J.Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon, Milner plus Ashley Young if needed, that still leaves no room for Goldenballs. .

" Fingers" I,m sure you have some cryptic remarks about Brown, Neville, Brown and Carrick, but, like Ledley, OHara, and Huddlestone if you take them Rose tinted glasses off you will notice they are just not good enough.
frank

Postby gonzo » Thu Dec 17 2009, 10:39

frank wrote:Milner must have penciled his own name on the list by now, so along with SWP, Carrick, J.Cole, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Lennon, Milner plus Ashley Young if needed, that still leaves no room for Goldenballs. .

J. Cole, Milner, Ashley Young , SWP and Lennon.

5 players effectively for 2, possibly one 'wide' position, if you think Gerrard will operate on the left in Capellos first choice starting line up. Not much variety , as all those players bring a similar attribute to the side and not one with what Beckham possesses. If you take all 5 of the above, you wont have a plan B.

You wouldnt take 5 goalkeepers for one place would you? whats the difference ?

'Goldenballs' will be going ahead of one of them.
What Cant Speak, Cant Lie!

gonzo
Site Mod

Postby Rogan7787 » Thu Dec 17 2009, 11:55

I personally think that for every position on the field you would ideally like 2 players that are upto standard in that particular position yes? (The exception of goalkeepers, where you would take 3).

Goalkeepers - David James, Robert Green and Joe Hart in my opinion (best english goalkeeper in the premier league so far at a mediocre club?)
Right back - Glen Johnson, Micah Richards.
Centre backs - John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Matt Upson and Joleon Lescott.
Left backs - Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole.
(Taking into account the fact Lescott and Richards can be deployed either wide or in the middle, allowing extra variety.)

Right midfield - Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott
Centre midfield - Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry and......................Goldenballs (At the end of the day, like said above, you need a different game plan, 1-0 down, who do you bring on? Someone who can change the game like a certain someone did against Belarus, or Michael Carrick, Jermain Jenas or the like?)
Left midfield - James Milner and Joe Cole
(Beckham, Cole and Gerrard can also be deployed anywhere across the midfield effectively)

Strikers - Wayne Rooney, Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch.....and as much as it pains me to say it, Emile Heskey...At the end of the day if the team is playing well and winning with him in it, why change it?

That leaves my final 23 on the plane to South Africa, and also justifies the decision to take Becks!
Rogan7787

Postby Sidney » Thu Dec 17 2009, 12:09

frank wrote:After watching last nights game between Tottenham and Man City I have had second thoughts about Englands A and B plans.
If, barring injuries, Englands A choise striking line up of Rooney, Heskey and Wright-Philips isn,t working then Defoe, Crouch and Lennon would make an excellent B plan.

Frank your plan A and plan B look very similar, just different personell

Surley you'd have big man little man as one plan and Rooney with a smaller quicker striker as the other. Either way Becks is needed for plan B. Either crossing for the big man or using his range of passing to get the little, quicker strikers in behind IMO
Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

Sidney

Postby Sidney » Mon Mar 15 2010, 08:59

Probably wouldn't take him now Gutted for him. Maybe should be still involved in the backroom team though
Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

Sidney

Postby Fingers » Wed Mar 17 2010, 17:02

Rooney up front on his own - works for United in the big games why not England -

-----------------------rooney-----------------
---------------------Park----------------------
Nani----------Fletcher----------Carrick----Valencia

England could start

----------------Rooney----------------------
----------------Gerrard-------------------------
Milner-----Carrick--------Lampard-------Walcott

If Cashley isnt fit I'd play Barry at Leftback - but a straight choice between Carrick and Barry I would play Carrick personally.
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 17 2010, 21:51

Fingers

Post subject: Re: Do we need OR indeed WANT Beckham in S.A.

Can't think why :lol:
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Previous

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010