World Cup Squad annouced

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

World Cup Squad annouced

Postby Mystery » Wed May 12 2010, 07:35

So the provisional 30 is as follows . . .

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Any thoughts?
Mystery

Re: World Cup Squad annouced

Postby whatever » Wed May 12 2010, 08:01

Looks pretty good to me.

Just relieved that Wes Brown is not in the squad!
Who's side are you on ref?

whatever

Postby slackjack » Thu May 20 2010, 12:49

Having been born in '67 and missed our last and only victory at the finals, I have learnt not to pin too much hope on how we do, I had a pub from '92-2000 and we didn't qualify for '94, but '98 was good while it lasted...'02 disappointing as was '06 so what have we learnt, not a great deal other than Capello seems to be a pretty good judge of player concerning results, I like the balance and with exciting players like Walcott, Johnson & co we have the ability to change it from the bench too..maybe it is our year but I didn't say that.
I like Johnson at RB and cannot see who else you would play that creates as much from there, goals win games and we might just create something while he's on as opposed to a more defensive minded one, Cole the same on the other side and lets face it, if we can't attack in the first 3 games then we don't deserve anything, look at Brazil, their fullbacks play on the opposition 18 yard line and still seem to progress.
I don't mind Ledley playing as a defensive midfielder either, good in the air, mobile and good vision and if he can play 3 prem games in a row then there shouldn't be a problem, touch wood???
slackjack

Postby Geoff » Thu May 20 2010, 13:01

I have a huge problem with one player picked, has nothing to do with whether he is a good, average or bad international nor nothing to do with the club he plays for and everything to do with him turning his back on the Three Lions. At the time he did so in 2007, he complained he did not want to keep the bench warm. But surely by the facts of the successive managers that picked the squad he quite simply wasn't good enough to be vying for a place in the starting eleven. So the toys find their way out of the pram and he no longer wants to be a part of England. Millions of people would live their wildest dream to be in his position. Playing pro football, earning a whacking salary and being picked by the nation he should be proud to represent.

But nope, this jumped up prima donna turns his back on the millions of us that have such a passion for our national side. It is my strong belief he should never have found a way back into the England 30. He did not contribute to the qualifiers and he did not want to play for us.

For all his good, Capello should hang his head in shame over this particular decision. I pray he is dumped from the 23 after keeping the bench warm during the friendlies. That to me personally, will be justice served nicely thank you.

Other than that, not too many surprises from inclusions and exclusions and pretty much what most of us would have expected.

Can we, is it possible? Dare to dream!
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby Mystery » Thu May 20 2010, 13:12

Couldnt agree with you more Geoff, wouldnt be so bad if he was a part of the qualifiers. Does seem to be jumping on the bandwagon now the hard work is done!

I think he could be going as a Right back, G johnson is the only other recognised Right back in the squad, only capello knows if that is as 1st or 2nd choice.

Fully expect him to go to the world cup and more than likely play a fair part of it. Doesnt say much for our Right back options does it!

That said though, IF we win it he can be the first up the stairs to lift the trophy for all i care!
Mystery

Postby Fingers » Thu May 20 2010, 14:31

As a United fan i cant stand Jamie Carragher but as an England fan I love to see him involved. Lets face it without him playing at the back for Liverpool putting his body on the line they would be even worse than they are now. He is a true out and out defender - much better than Upson and Lescott etc. Capello has made his decision at it shows he doesnt care about sentiment etc and peoples/players feelings and that is the reason why we have a great chance of winning the cup. Capello's job was to qualify, he did that, now his job is to win it and he doesnt care how he does it as long as he does it. Its a shame he couldnt convince Scholes out of retirement either as he is still one of the best we have, especially when you consider his holding position for United nowadays - having Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard would be ideal now.
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby slackjack » Thu May 20 2010, 14:33

Now hang on a mo' here, this is the typical reaction of most people, what ever happened to second chances and actually getting behind our team, we all have opinions, we all agree to disagree.

If Capello and he hasn't half done a good job thus far, thinks he should go who are we to complain?
You also don't know the reasons behind his "turning his back" but if our manager thinks he should be in and we win the Cup with him playing an important role, will you say, great world cup win but wish he didn't play maybe we shouldn't keep the cup. As for principals, well, I am a Liverpool fan and when he did it I found it very strange, but can you imagine he was in every Erikson squad, didn't play much, then along comes Mctwat and picks him then drops him and then plays people like Nicky Shorey ahead of him (I know he's a left back but you get my point) and finally with a young family and not making the squads yet being one of the best defenders we have, he's asked to fly many miles and for what, to see Micah Richards (Who I thought was a good choice but has drifted off into obscurity) take his place again. I am not happy that Mctwat dropped Becks either so there's a theme here and thank god Capello isn't English or thinks like you lot otherwise if the time comes, I can honestly say that if he is needed I'm sure he won't let us down like a certain P.Neville did 10 years ago against Romania. I appreciate that it was a silly thing to say and throw the toys to quote but if our Italian friend feels it is right then we should get behind him....remember what the media do every major tournament? They have done again this time only try and scupper our / my only living chance to watch a World Cup here...Dentists chair 1996...the list goes on and I for one hate it...be American and "BIG OURSELVES UP" support every player and decide after the World Cup if it was valid or not.
slackjack

Postby Smudge9 » Thu May 20 2010, 14:46

Have to agree with Geoff on this one. He has turned his back on this Country once (I'm not sitting on the bench, what the @!#& is all that about ) but in the paper today he has said that he wont play for England again after the World Cup Hes basically saying yeah I'll play in the World Cup 'coz its a massive deal but after that I can't really be arsed to represent my Country.

I have no problem with players retireing and as much as I don't really understand Scholes not playing I respect him for saying no to a comeback- particularly as his retirement reasons were not because he though he should have been playing!!

There should be no room for a player like Carragher;hasn't played in the qualifiers and has said he wont play again afterwards, hes had a @!#& season at Liverpool and his attitude to England is nothing short of disgraceful. I'm totally behind the England team but I pray that Capello drops him from the final 23 coz we can do without people like him.
Rudeness is better than any argument, it totally eclipses intellect. Schopenhauer

Smudge9

Non League Club: Selsey
Pro Club: Everton

Postby Fingers » Thu May 20 2010, 15:14

Carragher is in the top 8 English defenders. If you start bringing in sentiment into the equation you would only pick players you like. Carragher is better than Upson/Baines/Lescott and a handful of other players who were considered. Plus also as SlackJack said McTwat was in charge when he retired and we dont know whether Capello asked him before now to comeback - Capello has relised over the last 18 months that we are limited in certain areas - he's tried a number of players and some are just not good enough. Carragher is versatile he can play right back or centre half. I would pick Carragher above Upson and Lescott all day long. I personally dont care about the turning back on your country element.

I can see it now - Carragher scores the winner from a corner after England defend for 89 mins against a rampant Spanish team who create chance after chance only to be blocked/tackled/headed/saved by a resolute England defencsive rear guard. Geoff will be in the corner drinking his Guiness shaking his head.............
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby slackjack » Thu May 20 2010, 15:26

Don't get me wrong I was shocked to see a player announce his premature retirement especially as he still had plenty to offer but I won't deny that if he plays a part and does as Fingers has suggested could happen, will it take the gloss of it, next you'll tell me that England didn't win the World 20/20, it was 2 South Africans and an Irishman...ha ha
slackjack

Postby Smudge9 » Thu May 20 2010, 15:51

Fingers wrote:Carragher is in the top 8 English defenders. If you start bringing in sentiment into the equation you would only pick players you like. Carragher is better than Upson/Baines/Lescott and a handful of other players who were considered. Plus also as SlackJack said McTwat was in charge when he retired and we dont know whether Capello asked him before now to comeback - Capello has relised over the last 18 months that we are limited in certain areas - he's tried a number of players and some are just not good enough. Carragher is versatile he can play right back or centre half. I would pick Carragher above Upson and Lescott all day long. I personally dont care about the turning back on your country element.

I can see it now - Carragher scores the winner from a corner after England defend for 89 mins against a rampant Spanish team who create chance after chance only to be blocked/tackled/headed/saved by a resolute England defencsive rear guard. Geoff will be in the corner drinking his Guiness shaking his head.............

Carragher has been shocking this season - Dawson is better and Jagielka was superb the last 8 weeks of the season. For me, to say that right after the finals that you will go back into retirement shows that it has nothing to do with the manager, its him fancying a shot at the World Cup - totally selfish IMHO.

I'll be right there next to Geoff :lol: Seriously though, if he does that I will be dancing in the street with the rest but he will always be a twat :oops:
Rudeness is better than any argument, it totally eclipses intellect. Schopenhauer

Smudge9

Non League Club: Selsey
Pro Club: Everton

Postby Geoff » Thu May 20 2010, 18:38

Kev, I will obviously be a part of the England chorus if we win it, with or without this player... however I don't think his stance warrants a call up and I think Capello is wrong to ask the turncoat back. This is purely my opinion. It has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his loyalty towards his country.

We do know why he turned his back on England Jon, he made it very public. He had a rant, his dummy was firmly spat from the mouth and he couldn't handle being maybe 4th or 5th best. Being 4th or 5th best is still better than most will ever get in their career. He was priviledged and he despicably exploited it.

I never read the daily's so I have no idea what they report. I do know that the press/media in the nationals in this country are lower than a snakes belly. So this has nothing to do with press/media stories (if any).

This is to do with the person and not the player. I will still be alongside each and every England supporter next month cheering our side on.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby slackjack » Thu May 20 2010, 19:42

Okey dokey, agree to disagree but I will pretty much side with the player and the manager who is doing things right...and of course my rose coloured biased glasses.
slackjack

Postby Mystery » Fri May 21 2010, 08:52

For what its worth this is what i think the final 23 will be.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Missing out

Micheal Dawson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Adam Johnson, Tom Huddlestone, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent.

I would have taken Bent (Heskey) A Johnson (J Cole) and Dawson (Upson). Dont think Barry will make it with his injury and Parker/Carrick are decent replacements.
Mystery

Postby LONG 2 » Fri May 21 2010, 12:32

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson.

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Missing out

Micheal Dawson, Stephen Warnock, Gareth Barry, Adam Johnson, Tom Huddlestone, Aaron Lennon, Darren Bent.

I would have taken Bent (Heskey) A Johnson (J Cole) and Dawson (Upson). Dont think Barry will make it with his injury and Parker/Carrick are decent replacements.

Missing out

I pretty much agree, Carrick will only go if Barry doesn't make it. I do think he will take johnson ahead of Joe Cole though.
As for Carragher i was coming round to having no problem with him coming back in to the international set up, especially when asked by the manager (it does help having pr people making it known he would like to play in the world cup!) but reading that it will only be for the world cup irks me!! He is making out that he is our 'saviour' by deciding to come! I would agree he is one of the best defenders in the country, but will we win it if he goes ?? Will we win if he doesn't go ?? Personally i think it makes no difference we have other options!!
LONG 2

Next

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010