SO NOW WE KNOW!!!

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

SO NOW WE KNOW!!!

Postby LONG 2 » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:05

Not too many surprises i guess with the 7 left out! Capello has gone for experience, Sounds like home sickness done for Baines, Walcott the biggest surprise! Who would you have left here for him? if anyone!!
LONG 2

Re: SO NOW WE KNOW!!!

Postby Mystery » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:26

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Left out: Leighton Baines, Michael Dawson, Theo Walcott, Adam Johnson, Tom Huddlestone, Scott Parker, Darreen Bent.

I agree with Walcott missing out, having just pace isnt enough at a World cup. Would like to have seen A Johnson go, think he could of been a little wild card for us. Barry is a risk and unless Capello knows something we dont seems a bit desperate, Parker should of been given a chance and i think he could of been the holding player to release Lampard and Gerrard!

So i would have the same squad except

A Johnson for SWP
Parker for Barry (if unfit) or Carrick (if barry is fit)
Mystery

Postby LONG 2 » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:30

Carrick is fortunate but i think his European experience edges Parker out! Johnson's time will come in the Euros!!
LONG 2

Postby tips » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:38

LONG 2 wrote:Walcott...Who would you have left here for him? if anyone!!
Not a chance. Even if he wasn't in Capello's plans for a starting place, just having him in the side as an impact player off the bench would have given most opposing teams sleepless nights. Wenger used him in this role against Barcelona in the first leg of the Champions League game this season and it worked wonders for them. IMHO, I think he's dropped a b*ll*ck in picking SWP (a player who has struggled to command a place in a very attacking Man City side) over Walcott.
tips

Twitter Acct: MattTiplady

Postby paghamfc » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:41

LONG 2 wrote:Carrick is fortunate but i think his European experience edges Parker out! Johnson's time will come in the Euros!!

if we make it

but, if he can take SWP's place at club level then how can he not be picked over him at international level?
paghamfc

Postby LONG 2 » Tue Jun 01 2010, 15:55

If we make it!? Pessimist!!

It does seem strange to take SWP in front of Johnson considering club form! I have to say though Capello hasn't quite been true to his original word of taking those in form and those who have proven their fitness! He has just picked the most experienced players in the squad.
I think its a well balanced squad though and yes you could argue Johnson or Walcott for SWP or Parker for Carrick but all in all not many would have picked too much different!
Come on England!! (Semi finals as far as we go though for me! )
LONG 2

Postby Owl » Tue Jun 01 2010, 16:39

very surprised to see Walcott left out, definitely would have liked to see him used as an impact substitute - apart from that it looks ok to me
http://www.boshamfc.co.uk

Owl

Non League Club: Bosham
Pro Club: Sheffield Wednesday
Twitter Acct: @blanshb

Postby Jester » Tue Jun 01 2010, 21:50

No shocks really.

I am a bit suprised to see Walcott left out. I am not much of a fan but thought Capello was. He is very quick but he does not get his head up enough for me. Final ball is poor and he often picks the wrong option.

SWP is very similar to Walcott in regards to positives and negatives IMO. Pace to burn but again, final ball lets him down.

I would have been tempted to take Walcott instead of SWP because when he's on form i think he's more likely to nick a goal.

I am dissapointed not to see Johnson included. Would have been nice to have the option of an out and out left winger. Someone who can go past players and provide genuine width on the left.

Carrick is a very lucky boy in my opinion. Capello has gone for a well rounded squad. But i would have been tempted to take a risk. With Barry being in the squad they are obviously confident of him being fit, so i would have taken the gamble and left Carrick at home and had Johnson on the plane. We still would have had options in central midfield by switching Gerrard back inside if Barry was struggling. Hardly a problem IMO.

Fortune favours the brave!!!
Jester

Postby Vincent Barnes » Wed Jun 02 2010, 10:03

The biggest shock for me is that Matthew Upson is in the squad, surely we need 3 central defenders to be unavailable for him to play and if that does happen i'm going to have a stab in the dark here and say we are not going to win the world cup anyway!

I'm not too bothered about "blind ally sally" Walcott being left out, Lennon seems to have more end product then him, Joe Cole has the big game experience to warrant his place in the squad and if James Milner wasn't in the squad after the season he had it would be an absolute travesty, they can all play on the right and i think they would all do a better job then Theo.

My only real disappointment is Adam Johnson who could be anything and definately was worth the risk, he does things a little bit different to the others, has a good left foot and the ability to go past defenders he is at a good age being 22 and might not be in the same form again to go to another world cup and who knows, in 4 years time he might be 15 stone, walk with a limp and be hooked on meow meow!

Imo Fabio has dropped a right Betty leaving him at home
Vincent Barnes

Postby Traffic Cone » Wed Jun 02 2010, 11:21

and who knows, in 4 years time he might be 15 stone, walk with a limp and be hooked on meow meow!

Sounds like you speak from experience Vincent?! :lol:

Traffic Cone

Postby LONG 2 » Wed Jun 02 2010, 11:32

Quote:
and who knows, in 4 years time he might be 15 stone, walk with a limp and be hooked on meow meow!

Stones, glass houses!!
LONG 2

Postby Vincent Barnes » Wed Jun 02 2010, 11:36

Traffic Cone wrote:

Oh look who it is it's pipe up Pete!

I presume you are talking about the weight issue? well i have you know i am not 15 stone i'm 15 and a half which i might add is still 1 stone less than you
Vincent Barnes

Postby Mystery » Thu Jun 03 2010, 10:32

Squad numbers annouced

1. James
2. G Johnson
3. A Cole
4. Gerrard
5. Ferdinand
6. Terry
7. Lennon
8. Lampard
9. Crouch
10. Rooney
11. J Cole
12. Green
13. Warnock
14. Barry
15. Upson
16. Milner
17. SWP
18. Carragher
19. Defoe
20. King
21. Heskey
22. Carrick
23. Hart

Does this give us an indication of Cappellos first choice 11? Really hope James isnt first choice, Green and Hart are both better in my opinion.
Mystery

Postby Fingers » Thu Jun 03 2010, 18:49

Must admit very surprised Walcott isnt going - SWP has played very well for England when called upon and in truth looked more dangerous when he played 2nd half against Japan. Johnson is quality but has arrived late on the scene so who can blame Capello for picking who he trusts and has done well for him. The balance of the squad is excellent and as a United fan would trust Carrick hands down. He has played on the biggest stage at club level and peformed, his has just become a Dad which effects all men whatever you do for a living especially if things dont go smoothly. His form in the last half of the season was poor but I would pick him above the other players available to Capello.
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby Lord Zola » Fri Jun 04 2010, 07:57

I pretty much think the squad is spot on. My personal changes would be Dawson for Upson, as Dawson is the form of his life, and Johnson for SWP, as it just gives us a slightly better balance, although I don't have a problem with SWP, and he did well when he came on against Japan.

I think we wiill get the semi finals, then it's just down to how we play on the day, against Brazil probably.

Can't wait for 12th June!
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010