Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

John Hodkinson - Legend

[ Facebook comments]

Popular forum for Combination, Isthmian & National League issues.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

John Hodkinson - Legend

Postby Mike May » Sat Jun 09 2018, 18:49

This perhaps should have been in the Mid Sussex box, but thought it warranted a more wider audience

Met up today with a true local football legend, when I say legend you can't get bigger than this, JH a person who has been associated with Smallfield FC for the past 65 yrs, mainly as secretary of the now defunct Smallfield FC, now in his prime of life ( 93 this year ) yes 93 its not a misprint and still going strong.

John moved to Smallfield from London I believe in the mid 50's and quickly fell in love with the village and its football club then in the Redhill and Reigate District league, john played in goal for the reserves as myself, those were the days of Nat Lofthouse and 'crash bang, your in the net with the ball'.

Asked about the now sad demise of the club, he quoted ' loss of interest ( mid table ) , moving to other clubs, plus of course 'her indoors', til it got to the stage they couldn't go on, tho he was hopeful the Phoenix might rise again from the Ashes.

As for John who still works part time at the grounds Social Club, is still the same, chirpy as ever if a little stiff in the joints, a fervent Arsenal fan who received a congrats card from Arsene Wenger on his 60 yrs. Smallfield have had a chequered career playing in the Redhill & Reigate, Oxford & District and the Mid Sussex League, during that time Promotion plus Cups always seemed to be the order of the day, so here's to the Phoenix!!

So once more, heres to a true legend, never say die - John Hodkinson ( legend extraordinare ).
Mike May

Return to Southern Combination, Isthmian & National Leagues