Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Indirect Freekick inside Penalty area

[ Facebook comments]

Ask our resident Ref(s) your questions here.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Indirect Freekick inside Penalty area

Postby LBV » Mon Sep 22 2008, 19:48

Following a pass back our official rightly awarded an indirect freekick to the opposition. I was of the understanding that the kick is to be taken from the point the goalkeeper handled the ball, however the referee informed us that as the keeper touched the ball inside the 6 yard area then the ball had to be moved back 10 yards perpendiculaly from the goal line so our defenders could be 10yards away from the kick. It was my understanding that if the players couldnt retreat a full 10yards then to be behind the goalline was sufficient and that the opposition didnt warrent having the ball moved further from our goal?

I was also told after the game that the defenders were lucky that the ball had been passed backwards as if it had been touched forward then struck then any player closing down the ball would have been booked for encroachment! this is surely incorrect, if the ball is touched in any direction then a player is free to shut it down?

LBV

Non League Club: AFC Ringmer/Lewes Bridgeview
Twitter Acct: @iamolivergibson

Re: Indirect Freekick inside Penalty area

Postby kojak » Tue Sep 23 2008, 06:42

LBV wrote:Following a pass back our official rightly awarded an indirect freekick to the opposition. I was of the understanding that the kick is to be taken from the point the goalkeeper handled the ball, however the referee informed us that as the keeper touched the ball inside the 6 yard area then the ball had to be moved back 10 yards perpendiculaly from the goal line so our defenders could be 10yards away from the kick. It was my understanding that if the players couldnt retreat a full 10yards then to be behind the goalline was sufficient and that the opposition didnt warrent having the ball moved further from our goal?

I was also told after the game that the defenders were lucky that the ball had been passed backwards as if it had been touched forward then struck then any player closing down the ball would have been booked for encroachment! this is surely incorrect, if the ball is touched in any direction then a player is free to shut it down?

If the offence is inside the 6 yd area (goal area) as in this case, the kick is taken from the edge of the goal area in line with where the offence occured. The defence then line up on the goal line. As for closing the ball down, as soon as the ball is touched, in any direction, it is in play and can be closed down. Another classic example of a referee implementing laws that he does not understand himself.
kojak

Postby whatever » Tue Sep 23 2008, 09:52

Indirect free kick indside the penalty area to the attacking team:

• all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until
it is in play, unless they are on their own goal line between the
goalposts

• the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves

• an indirect free kick awarded inside the goal area must be taken
on the goal area line parallel to the goal line at the point nearest
to where the infringement occurred

whatever