Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Playing advantage and bookings

[ Facebook comments]

Ask our resident Ref(s) your questions here.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Playing advantage and bookings

Postby NickW » Tue Dec 15 2009, 15:29

Interesting one this, currently on a well known Burnley fans forum there is the following debate:-

If a player commits a foul worthing of a booking, but the ref deems the situation to play advantage. The ball is in play for say a couple of minutes and at the end of that spell the same player commits another foul, is he booked once or booked twice and sent off?

Unlikely to happen of course! I guess the right decision is to send him off but is this hard to put in practise
NickW

Non League Club: Storrington
Pro Club: Burnley

Re: Playing advantage and bookings

Postby Gareth D » Tue Dec 15 2009, 15:41

Probably get shot down for this

For me personally, If I felt a foul was serious enough to warrant a booking I would stop the play there and then. The only exception to this would be in the case of a genuine goalscoring advantage arising from the foul where I would allow play to continue, I suppose if the second foul was committed during that second passage of play then I would be left no option but to issue two yellow cards and dismiss the said player.

Gareth D
Site Admin

Postby stringz » Tue Dec 15 2009, 18:37

Gareth not a bad reply but you may need to consider this. If there is a clear advantage then continue to play regardless of whether you thought the tackle poor enough for a caution; at the next stoppage caution the player. If however, you consider the offence to be an expulsion than stop immediately and send off (other than if there is an obvious golascoring opportunity then act on the result of that). However, in this case if the second fouls does not warrant a caution then obviously apply the first and just award a free kick. But if both offences warrant a caution then obviously two cards. This is going to be a tough one to get across mind you and I wouldn't want to be in the ref's boots.

But watch for the get out clause that states that if two fouls are committed then you caution for the more serious offence!!
stringz

Postby NickW » Tue Dec 15 2009, 22:51

Thanks for the replies so far, is certainly an interesting one I think! I can see it being a 50/50 answer IMO.
NickW

Non League Club: Storrington
Pro Club: Burnley

Postby Just a blurr » Wed Dec 16 2009, 12:36

slightly different and unlikely but how about this. What would you do if a player made a foul worthy of a red card but you play advantage as there is a clear goalscoring oppurtunity.....play continues and after numerous shots at goal and a goal mouth scramble the defending team break away, a ball is crossed into the box and they score. the goalscorer being the player who should of been red carded. do u red card the player and allow the goal to stand? Red card him and dis allow the goal? Allow the goal and bottle it by giving him just a yellow lol? what would be the correct thing to do mr referee??
Just a blurr

Postby Smudge9 » Wed Dec 16 2009, 13:12

Just a blurr wrote:slightly different and unlikely but how about this. What would you do if a player made a foul worthy of a red card but you play advantage as there is a clear goalscoring oppurtunity.....play continues and after numerous shots at goal and a goal mouth scramble the defending team break away, a ball is crossed into the box and they score. the goalscorer being the player who should of been red carded. do u red card the player and allow the goal to stand? Red card him and dis allow the goal? Allow the goal and bottle it by giving him just a yellow lol? what would be the correct thing to do mr referee??

I think, allow the goal and send the player off I'm not sure the Laws allow you to stop the game after the advantage has been played and your effectivly waiting for the ball to go dead before sending the player off, perhaps someone will confirm that? I think that referees would perhaps say that if the tackle is bad enough to warrant a red card you stop play immediately regardless of the situation but its an interesting question
Rudeness is better than any argument, it totally eclipses intellect. Schopenhauer

Smudge9

Non League Club: Selsey
Pro Club: Everton

Postby The Man In Black » Mon Feb 22 2010, 21:03

I personally feel that if a foul is worthy of a sending off then to stop play would be the best course of action a good example of this is an incident involving a goal scoring opportunity possibly being denied but the player gets to the area. would you stop play or would you see how the play progresses?? if he scores you may only have to issue a yellow if he goes down then bite your top lip bring play back and issue the red for the DOGSO. obviously this would depend on the situation. if it deems a red then stop play and prevent the player from making another bad challenge if its a yellow then see how play progresses and apply advantge and caution when ball is next out of play. remember there is no law regarding the application of advantage it is at the referees discretion wether or not it is applied.
The Man In Black

Post a reply

Return to Ask the Ref!