Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

4th officlas and the technical area

[ Facebook comments]

Ask our resident Ref(s) your questions here.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

4th officlas and the technical area

Postby johnandnykki » Fri Jan 01 2010, 19:23

O.K. so I'm confused:

>the LAWS of the game (law 3) which clearly stipulate that persons must remain within the 'technical' area, only one person to convey tecnical instructions at a time and then return to their position (seated area in the dugout), that there may be two standing persons but one must be in line with the seats, that they may only be standing whilst conveying instructions and ANY infringement odf these and a few other rules around the technical area are an infringement and are considered 'irresponsible behaviour'.
>Among the role of the 4th official is to inform the referee of irresponsible behaviour of any occupant of the technical area.

YET, at the Eastbourne Borough vs Crawlet Town match today 01/01/10 the 4th official totally ignored all of these laws.

Is this because they aren't laws? Does he know something new about football, are these laws that good sense dicatates we must only use when very necessary?

If an offcial flagrantly disregards the laws of the game what recourse is there to ensure the official is reminded of the laws or disallowed from officiating in the future?
johnandnykki

Re: 4th officlas and the technical area

Postby milkeybarkid » Mon Jan 04 2010, 13:13

I'll give answering this a go. If I am incorrect feel free to correct me.

Law 3 Is in regards to The number of players.
Beacuse the techinical area is concidered 'off pitch' rules will apply (not the laws)
There are guidelines for 4th Officials and the referee obviously will give his instructions to the 4th man/woman during the team talk.

Generally speaking it should be 1 person standing (Competitions rules may dictate otherwise) and if someone else stands up to give instructions to the players then the other should sit down. If there is one person giving instructions to players, then they may stand for the full duration of the game.

They must remain in the technical area (inside the box) and must not encroach the field of play.

Here is just a few rules from page 52 (the technical area)
• only one person at a time is authorised to convey tactical instructions from
the technical area
• the coach and other offi cials must remain within its confi nes except in
special circumstances, for example, a physiotherapist or doctor entering the
fi eld of play, with the referee’s permission, to assess an injured player
• the coach and other occupants of the technical area must behave in a
responsible manner

If you have a look at page 53 nothing in there states the 4th man/ woman should harras the occupants to sit down. Being a 4th official in the past if they all keep standing up and infringing the rules them a polite few words in their ear should be enough. If they keep on doing it speak to the referee who whould have a chat with them at half time and remind them of the rules/ competition rules.

Hope that makes sense.

Laws of the game ----> http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegu ... n_0910.pdf
milkeybarkid

Postby johnandnykki » Mon Jan 04 2010, 20:50

You're absolutely right. The LAWS do state that breaches of these laws count as irresponsiblle behaviour and the 4th official is required to inform the ref of irresponsible behaviour. Generally speaking the 4th would have a quiet word and that would be sufficient, after all, spectators find it hard enough being quiet so management will need to convey instruction.

What I completely fail to understand is why I routinely attend matches where the members of the technical area breach these guidelines and go completely unchecked by the 4th. I recognise the 4th has a number of roles, many unseen by spectators, but I do feel that it is neccessary for them to uphold the laws in that area as dictated in the law, else they may as well have a steward roll in a ball and hld up the minutes of extra time etc. At Saturdays Eastbourne Borough match I witnessed 4 substitutions and at no time did the 4th even check the players studs etc.

I feel afronted that poor sportsmanship on the pitch is dealt with appropriately yet those making those law imposing decisions so regualrly fail to lead by example by imposing the law in all areas.

Thankyou for your response and endeavouring to answer my query
johnandnykki

Postby Picto Cotts » Sun May 01 2011, 22:15

Every substitute that entered the field of play that day was, correctly, checked for jewellery, undershorts (matching) and their studs inspected. You may well have missed this happening, prior to the substitute actually entering the field of play, while you were watching the game going on. Once the deatils of the subs are passed to the 4th O he will usually carry out the inspection immediately to save any undue delay at the next stoppage in play when the substitution is actually made.

Here are all the comments from the Match Assessors report.

• Two potential problem Technical Areas were not micro – managed but handled correctly. I suggest the response was positive. On no occasion did you present the referee with a problem. Your man – management skills oozed experience.
• When required replacement balls were provided.
• Water breaks were controlled sensibly.
• Substitutions were handled in accordance with prescribed guidance.
Picto Cotts

Postby octopus » Thu May 12 2011, 16:39

picto cotts
i asume you was the 4th ?
it is a hard enough job being 4th without a so called fan saying you did not do your job ! when they have no idea what is expected not just in law but by the people in the technical area also the assessor !

my mate got hounded on face book after doing a 4th at borough ! probably the same people who have started this thread

i would like to see johnandnykki take the referees exam and see how far they get
if they get to level 3 implementing the laws in black and white good for them but i dont think they will lol

regards
ex level 3
if it aint broke dont fix it ;-)
octopus
Site Mod

Pro Club: Tottenham Hotspur FC
Twitter Acct: @croftysfootypic
  • Website

Postby wobbles1 » Fri May 13 2011, 15:23

In last nights play-off the Swansea plater that got sent off was in the dug-out