Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Coin toss

[ Facebook comments]

Ask our resident Ref(s) your questions here.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Coin toss

Postby Mystery » Mon Apr 19 2010, 14:29

All but 1 ref has implemented this when i have been captain this season.

The Home team captain tosses the coin, Away captain calls. Why is it that if you call correctly you only get the choice which end you attack first? Surely its more beneficial to have the choice of Kick off OR the choice of end. Anyone know the reason for this?

Any input from others?
Mystery

Re: Coin toss

Postby Smudge9 » Mon Apr 19 2010, 15:52

You used to get the choice of kick off or choice of ends, a few years ago they changed it to whoever wins the toss chooses ends. Have no idea why they changed it tho I'm with you, I'd rather have the full choice.
Rudeness is better than any argument, it totally eclipses intellect. Schopenhauer

Smudge9

Non League Club: Selsey
Pro Club: Everton

Postby fanbase » Mon Apr 19 2010, 18:44

Mystery wrote:All but 1 ref has implemented this when i have been captain this season.

The Home team captain tosses the coin, Away captain calls. Why is it that if you call correctly you only get the choice which end you attack first? Surely its more beneficial to have the choice of Kick off OR the choice of end. Anyone know the reason for this?

Any input from others?

Once again a player comes on here to complain without knowing the reason for the referee's action. It might help to read the laws before you play your next game, especially law 8. It might make the referee's job a bit easier.
"It is better to risk sparing a guilty person than to condemn an innocent one.” Voltaire

fanbase

Postby Smudge9 » Tue Apr 20 2010, 07:19

fanbase wrote:
Mystery wrote:All but 1 ref has implemented this when i have been captain this season.

Any input from others?

Once again a player comes on here to complain without knowing the reason for the referee's action. It might help to read the laws before you play your next game, especially law 8. It might make the referee's job a bit easier.

Not sure he was complaining, more asking why it is. I know it changed but don't know why - can anyone enlighten us??
Rudeness is better than any argument, it totally eclipses intellect. Schopenhauer

Smudge9

Non League Club: Selsey
Pro Club: Everton

Postby Mystery » Tue Apr 20 2010, 08:12

Thanks for backing me up Smudge, Fanbase instead of getting your spoon out why dont you quote me Law 8. If i had a copy of the handbook i obviously would of read it myself!

This section is ask the Ref, so unless you are willing to answer the question and be helpful stop doing what the minority do on this great site and try making an issue out of a perfectly honest question.
Mystery

Postby whatever » Tue Apr 20 2010, 08:25

Can't find out the reason why but it was introduced by FIFA for the 1997/98 season.
Who's side are you on ref?

whatever

Postby Gareth D » Tue Apr 20 2010, 10:47

As per Law 8.

A coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match.
The other team takes the kick-off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half of the match. In the second half of the match, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals.

Valid question, hope this clarifies.

Gareth D
Site Admin

Postby fanbase » Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:15

Mystery wrote:Thanks for backing me up Smudge, Fanbase instead of getting your spoon out why dont you quote me Law 8. If i had a copy of the handbook i obviously would of read it myself!

This section is ask the Ref, so unless you are willing to answer the question and be helpful stop doing what the minority do on this great site and try making an issue out of a perfectly honest question.

Not really getting my spoon out. When I was refereeing it really wound me up when players did not know the Laws. You do not need a handbook. Just google "Laws of the Game" and you will find them.
"It is better to risk sparing a guilty person than to condemn an innocent one.” Voltaire

fanbase

Postby Mystery » Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:21

Gareth D wrote:As per Law 8.

A coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match.
The other team takes the kick-off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half of the match. In the second half of the match, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals.

Valid question, hope this clarifies.

Thanks Gareth
Mystery

Postby Mystery » Tue Apr 20 2010, 12:27

What part of my first post comes across that i dont know the rule then Fanbase? Read it again, i am sure you will discover that i DO know the rule, i just dont understand THE REASON for it!

Anyway, lets leave it there shall we unless anyone knows the REASON for the rule.

Thanks for your input though
Mystery

Postby scflfan » Thu Apr 22 2010, 19:07

"laws" not "rules"
Richard Smallwood
scflfan

Pro Club: Southampton

Post a reply

Return to Ask the Ref!