Find us on facebook

England 2 Sweden 2

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2006 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Postby Otters » Wed Jun 21 2006, 12:00

Rusty G i am with you on that one, I am not a great Jenas fan anyway, but why take him???

Whats does he offer??

Goals??

Defencing spliting passing??

Great tackiling ability??

I know you can say the same about Hargreaves but at least he is a denfensive midfield maybe not in a vieria mold but still a good one.

But oh well whats done is done and nothing can be changed we can talk about ifs or buts all day long but the fact of the matter is we are unbeaten in the knock out stages and maybe just maybe a step closer to being World Champions
Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Otters

Postby Rusty G » Wed Jun 21 2006, 12:02

And Neville & Ferdinand have just had positive scan results and are both set to play on Sunday !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starting to cheer up now
Account no longer in use.
Rusty G

Postby The Tye » Wed Jun 21 2006, 12:02

also Rio has had a scan and there is no damage on his groin at all, and even better news is the the livng legend that is Gary(its gary time!) is almost fit again and should be fit for sunday! :lol:
The Tye
Site Mod

Postby Lord Zola » Wed Jun 21 2006, 12:23

I think Sven know's deep down that to get the best out of are World Class central midfielders we must play a holding players and allow both Gerrard and Lampard to do what they do best. However, because of Sven's reluctance to drop big names this formation has never been tested, because we have to play a system that accomodates both Owen and Rooney. However, now because of Owen's injury, Sven can play what in his mind is his best side, which will be Hargreaves holding, allowing Lampard and Gerrard to bomb on to support Rooney, without be too concenred about what is going on behind them.

The 3 main players that seem to come in for me stick than others for some reason, when the whole team quite franlky has not performed that well is Beckham, Lampard and Crouch.

Crouch - As good as Crouch has done in his previous 8 or so Caps, he fails to hide the fact that he's just not World Class. Also by starting Crouch, we are in effect playing all are cards early. What happens if things are not working out? by starting Crouch you lose that option of a plan "B". Where as from the bench we have the option to chnage the whole shape/style of the game.

Lampard - I don't quite see the problem people have with Lampard. He's not a centre forward, so why do people seem to judge him on his goals. He's been the most threatening player in the side, and has had more shots than any other playing in the tournament (offical stats). His finishing has not been up to his usual high standards, but he's made his trademark runs into the box, and has looked threatening, I don't think his first goal of the world cup is far away.

Beckham - He's the one player who is lucky to be playing in my opinion. We just simply haven't attacked down the right flank all tournament. He is crossing the ball from far to deep (has he crossed from the byline once) and as a side we just don't look as dangerous on the right as we do down the left. You can't pick a player for just taking free kicks and corners, but at the moment that is what is happening. Lampard can take a lovely free kick and corner, as John Terry will testify, as Lampard tends to set most of his Chelsea goals up, so why is Beckham out there? Whatever people feel about the man himself (as thet tends to cloud their judgement) if you analyse his actual 3 perfromances this World Cup so far, he's been poor.

From a attacking point of few we are down to the bare bones (some only just healed), with Rooney not yet fully fit for 90 mins, Crouch, a trier, but limited, and Walcott, who is only full of un-founded promise. This begs the question what is Jermane Jenas doing out there, as I fail to imagine a scenario to which he will play. I expect Jermaine Defoe may be thinking the same thing.
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Postby red_boots2 » Wed Jun 21 2006, 13:39

Rusty G wrote:Begs the question -

Why did Sven take Jenas ??

Surely an additional forward would have made more sense ??

Robinson
Carrick
Jenas
Lennon

Maybe he's a closet spurs fan? (but had a falling out with Defoe)
Whatever It Takes
red_boots2

• YIM

Postby *JBFC11* » Wed Jun 21 2006, 13:43

Rusty G wrote:Begs the question -

Why did Sven take Jenas ??

Surely an additional forward would have made more sense ??

Exactly wat I've said before Rusty Gay, he's an ok player but he can literally play one position and he's not going to get used.

Jermaine Defoe should have gone instead of him.
Viva Le Revolución!

VIVA!!!
*JBFC11*

• Website

Postby *JBFC11* » Wed Jun 21 2006, 13:44

quote]

Robinson
Carrick
Jenas
Lennon

Maybe he's a closet spurs fan? (but had a falling out with Defoe)[/quote]

Yeah and Ledley King, wud much rather have him in than that idiot Campbell.
Viva Le Revolución!

VIVA!!!
*JBFC11*

• Website

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 21 2006, 14:05

Campbell is an idiot - you're right!

One of the first things you get taught as a defender is never let the ball bounce in the box! I think Sol must have been stopping a different ball from bouncing (Ashley was very close to him) and got side tracked on what he was supposed to be doing! I'm so glad Rio is fit to start on Sunday

World Cup Dream Team 2006

Dave

Postby The Contender » Wed Jun 21 2006, 17:31

Sven is a W%nker he took Walcott when he has clearly realised that he is not ready or good enough yet. They see him every day in training and obviously he is not cutting the mustard.

Lampard and Gerrard are the same player, Gerrard is better without question so you should only play one of them. Look at Argentina, they have an excellent squad but leave players like Messi and Tevez on the bench for the good of the team. Sven would play them all regardless of the teams performance.

I was impressed with Hargreaves last night and think Lennon should have come on. He was excellent against T&T and without him we lack genuine pace in our attack.

Carragher is too ordinary to play at international level and we will not win the world cup with him in the side.

Everyone knows that we have a team capable of winning the worldcup but i have serious doubts with Sven in charge.
Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight? I ask that of all my friends

The Contender

Postby red_boots2 » Wed Jun 21 2006, 17:42

The Contender wrote:Everyone knows that we have a team capable of winning the worldcup but i have serious doubts with Sven in charge.

I think that even the England players have doubts with that muppet in charge
Whatever It Takes
red_boots2

• YIM

Postby Dean Bradford » Thu Jun 22 2006, 08:22

The team picks itself now without Owen in my opinion...

-------------------Robinson---------------------------------
Carragher-----Ferdinand------------Terry------------Cole
Beckham----Gerrard----Hargreaves----Lampard----Cole
--------------------Rooney----------------------------------

I know we were pony 2nd half v Sweden but I feel we still have a great chance of making the Quarters and still fancy ourselves against Holland or Portugal now the Argies are out of danger.

ROLL ON SUNDAY
Deano
Dean Bradford

Postby Rusty G » Thu Jun 22 2006, 08:57

I think a certain Mr Neville might have something to say about that ??
Account no longer in use.
Rusty G

Postby Otters » Thu Jun 22 2006, 09:03

With that formation it enables Sevn to bring on Walcott for either Gerrard or Lampard without changing much

After watching last nights games Argentina or Holland are easily beatable, just need to play with temp against them.
Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow.

Otters

Postby Dean Bradford » Thu Jun 22 2006, 09:03

I dunno, I still like the look of Carragher. He is a bit of an unsung hero and very solid and dependable.

He kept Mr Ljungberg very quiet on Tuesday.
Deano
Dean Bradford

Postby Dean Bradford » Thu Jun 22 2006, 09:06

Otters wrote:With that formation it enables Sevn to bring on Walcott for either Gerrard or Lampard without changing much

After watching last nights games Argentina or Holland are easily beatable, just need to play with temp against them.

Craig

I dont think you can read much into that game last night as they both rested all their players on yellow cards.

Which brings me onto my next subject, YELLOW CARDS. Bloody ridiculous that after 2 yellow cards you get a ban. Should be 3.

All that has happened is that us, the fans, have seen sides that are already through fielding weaker teams so that they do not get suspended. Just devalues the spectacle.
Deano
Dean Bradford

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2006