Abusing Nomad Forum

[ Facebook comments]

Have a notice? Stick it on the board.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Abusing Nomad Forum

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 11 2010, 23:29

I have two or three options open to me regarding the negative and miserable posts that are going on here, under the auspices of 'I am boosting your ratings', etc.

Firstly I can delete and/or lock topics and/or send them to the drivel section where people don't have to read them.

Secondly I can just ban people which I absolutely hate to do.

Thirdly i can just close the site down, save myself a lot of money and let the stupid people here find somewhere else to vent their online tempers.

I have my personal likes for Nomad, as most do, mine being I live in London and I can keep in touch. I also have my personal dislikes, and grown ups acting like little babies comes well on top of all them. Sustained arguments and attacks are boring the absolute sh!te out of me and at the moment I am feeling like saving myself some money and letting the kids go rant on someone else's server space. If I created a monster (as suggested) I did it for people to keep in touch, if creating this 'monster' makes people think I should live or die by it fine. If by creating Nomad people think it gives them the right to abuse the site and its people I'll kill it off. If you think I am calling your bluff, watch me.

Regards
Geoff
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Re: Abusing Nomad Forum

Postby Old Man In Boots » Fri Mar 12 2010, 12:07

Surely that doesn't include me abusing Chalaye?!!
Eamonn Searle
Old Man In Boots

Postby slackjack » Fri Mar 12 2010, 13:03

who are you?
slackjack

Postby Old Man In Boots » Fri Mar 12 2010, 13:11

Don't blame me for the fact your Carlos Fandango phone never works!
Eamonn Searle
Old Man In Boots

Postby guerrero » Fri Mar 12 2010, 21:57

I can't help being a miserable,opinionated,aggressive,disagreeable old bastard. :oops:
I thought forums were created for people like me. :lol:
What I don't get though Geoff is this need for anonimity.
I reckon everybody should have to post under their own names.Or at least reveal them.
Why should it be possible to slag someone off anonymously?
Hardly democratic is it?
If there's no money in it for you what's the problem with people being honest with their identities?
Or is it just a vehicle for cowards to post what they like,then run and hide?
Maybe it's me who's wrong on this,but I'm always prepared to say what I have to say,to whoever I want to say it to,without hiding behind a made up name.
Paul Hubbard.
Brexit schmexit!
guerrero

Non League Club: Tonbridge Angels.
Pro Club: Liverpool and Barcelona.

Postby seafordtillidie » Fri Mar 12 2010, 23:06

guerrero wrote:I can't help being a miserable,opinionated,aggressive,disagreeable old bastard. :oops:
I reckon everybody should have to post under their own names.Or at least reveal them.
Hardly democratic is it?
If there's no money in it for you what's the problem with people being honest with their identities?
Maybe it's me who's wrong on this,but I'm always prepared to say what I have to say,to whoever I want to say it to,without hiding behind a made up name.
Paul Hubbard.

ISN'T THAT AN ALIAS
Don't forget to check in on the new Seaford Town website

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/seafordtownfc/

seafordtillidie

Non League Club: Seaford Town
Pro Club: Arsenal & Albion
  • Website

Postby guerrero » Fri Mar 12 2010, 23:33

seafordtillidie wrote:
guerrero wrote:I can't help being a miserable,opinionated,aggressive,disagreeable old bastard. :oops:
Hardly democratic is it?
Paul Hubbard.

ISN'T THAT AN ALIAS

If only...............
Brexit schmexit!
guerrero

Postby MITCHELL » Sat Mar 13 2010, 20:35

I thought it was quite with out me and Mike
http://www.horleytownfc.btck.co.uk/
www.horleytownfc.info./

MITCHELL

Non League Club: Horley Town FC
Pro Club: West Ham United
  • Website

Postby wibby » Sat Mar 13 2010, 22:34

Geoff wrote:I have two or three options open to me regarding the negative and miserable posts that are going on here, under the auspices of 'I am boosting your ratings', etc.

Firstly I can delete and/or lock topics and/or send them to the drivel section where people don't have to read them.

Secondly I can just ban people which I absolutely hate to do.

Thirdly i can just close the site down, save myself a lot of money and let the stupid people here find somewhere else to vent their online tempers.

Regards
Geoff

Geoff,being the IT illiterate that I am, I dont know the costs you incur. Is there any reason why you could not charge us to be members? I accept I get a lot of free entertainment from Nomad, and if you are paying for that for me, then I am happy to contribute.
Pikey.
I still wear suspenders underneath my business suit....
wibby

Postby guerrero » Sat Mar 13 2010, 23:00

Me too.Especially if it keeps the nameless trolls out.
Maybe a small charge might keep the idiots away.
Brexit schmexit!
guerrero

Postby Jacko » Wed Mar 17 2010, 12:53

guerrero wrote:Me too.Especially if it keeps the nameless trolls out.
Maybe a small charge might keep the idiots away.

Yeah I agree. I'd pay Geoff.

Why not run a poll? That last one that fella did lasted forever though lol. Was I glad to see the back of that! (No offence mate!)
Bob

Jacko

Postby exwasp » Wed Mar 17 2010, 17:11

Firstly to Geoff - I would be happy to pay a small amount for the forum. I'm grateful you keep it going. I've been away recently and this forum is by far the best way way to keep in touch with all thats happening in the County League, even if we tend to differ when it comes to the General Discussion forum.

Secondly, for Guerrero, I enjoy some of your posts but don't know why you have to turn these threads into the opportunity to criticise people. This time its the 'nameless trolls' which presumably includes people like me. Yes, there may be a few people who use anonimity to slag people off but mostly they don't stay on here for long. Others may use their anonimity in order to make legitimate criticisms of the club they play for, support, or for many other genuine reasons without being potentially abused or banned in return. Just because you put your name to a post doesn't necessarily make it any more valid than anyone else's.

Those who need to know my name do. Those who want to are welcome to PM me though I don't think you'd be much the wiser if I told you.
exwasp

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 17 2010, 21:43

Sorry guys, thanks for the thumbs up but it'll never be a pay site. It isn't the reason why this started in the first place and it's not about to be a reason now.

On top of that people will expect a higher degree/level of moderation and in some cases you will have people demanding action for their money and I'm just not prepared to do that. It won't become any easier to moderate for me because it is paid for. And it won't stop people using psuedonyms either, that is part and parcel of the whole internet 'social media' presence. And I don't really care about the money, I just get p!ssed with idiots ruining it for others, be it regular posters or one offs. Great to have the arguments, banter and differences of opinions, but a small minority seem hell bent on spoiling it for the majority, which seems to be the case in any walk of life.

Not sure I can do much about that, hence I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. It is actually harder to keep regs in tow than it is one off numpty's because it is hard to try and regulate the regulars fairly, one offs are easily dealt with.

And 99 times out of 100 when I warn/ban someone they like to point out the other 999 posts similar to theirs that I missed. Quite regularly I, or one of the mods, do miss them, it isn't our full time job to look after the child element of the forum 24/7... but sometimes I just get tired and warn/ban people for seeing repeated offence towards others, even after asking them to tone down.

Sounds much like a ref really... can't do right for doing wrong. I would hate to shut this place down, but if the point comes where enough is enough, I will. It is up to those persistent abusers to either curb their ways or carry out their wish of perhaps wanting this forum closed down.

Ball is squarely in their court.
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby guerrero » Fri Mar 19 2010, 23:49

exwasp wrote:Firstly to Geoff - I would be happy to pay a small amount for the forum. I'm grateful you keep it going. I've been away recently and this forum is by far the best way way to keep in touch with all thats happening in the County League, even if we tend to differ when it comes to the General Discussion forum.

Secondly, for Guerrero, I enjoy some of your posts but don't know why you have to turn these threads into the opportunity to criticise people. This time its the 'nameless trolls' which presumably includes people like me. Yes, there may be a few people who use anonimity to slag people off but mostly they don't stay on here for long. Others may use their anonimity in order to make legitimate criticisms of the club they play for, support, or for many other genuine reasons without being potentially abused or banned in return. Just because you put your name to a post doesn't necessarily make it any more valid than anyone else's.

Those who need to know my name do. Those who want to are welcome to PM me though I don't think you'd be much the wiser if I told you.

Going back a few years it was anonymous phone calls.Now it's anonymous posts.
I'm no super hero,but I would never post anything that I wouldn't say to someones face.Yet you reckon I'm in the wrong for that?
"Nameless trolls" means people who troll the threads,the forum or indeed the internet making mischief without the balls to put their names to their opinions.
You may feel that I make mischief,and now and again I'd agree with you.
At least I don't hide though.
Brexit schmexit!
guerrero

Postby Geoff » Sat Mar 20 2010, 00:14

But you also have an unhealthy obsession with nameless people on here ... told you before, tell you again... get over it. You make your own friends and enemies in life, don't embroil everyone else in it.
Geoff
Site Admin

Next

Post a reply

Return to Noticeboard