Starting XI against USA

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Starting XI against USA

Postby tips » Mon Jun 07 2010, 09:18

As a kind of follow-on from the "who should make the final 23" thread, who do people think should be Mr Capello's starting XI in their first group match against, who is likely to be England's toughest group opponent, the USA

Personally, I'd like to see Rob Green in goal (despite a disappointing season with the Hammers, he hasn't played too shabby in the qualifiers or in the warm up games) with a back four of Johnson, Terry, King and A$$ Hole (I mean Ash Cole ).

Then, in keeping with a 4-2-3-1 formation, I'd go with Lampard and Milner, with Gerrard, Rooney and Lennon behind Heskey up top.
tips

Twitter Acct: MattTiplady

Re: Starting XI against USA

Postby LONG 2 » Mon Jun 07 2010, 15:59

Think it will be GREEN, JOHNSON TERRY KING COLE, LENNON GERRARD LAMPARD COLE, HESKEY ROONEY!
LONG 2

Postby Fingers » Mon Jun 07 2010, 18:44

I think Capello will pick

1. James
2. Johnson
3. Terry
4. King
5. A Cole
6. Carrick
7. Lampard
8. Gerrard
9. SWP
10. Rooney
11. Heskey
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby Owl » Mon Jun 07 2010, 21:17

LONG 2 wrote:Think it will be GREEN, JOHNSON TERRY KING COLE, LENNON GERRARD LAMPARD COLE, HESKEY ROONEY!

agree with you except for the keeper - think he will pick James
http://www.boshamfc.co.uk

Owl

Non League Club: Bosham
Pro Club: Sheffield Wednesday
Twitter Acct: @blanshb

Postby watson » Tue Jun 08 2010, 08:07

Out of the team would go Heskey, hes just dreadfull. Green is not world class and James has had enough chances, so my goalkeeper would be;

HART
CARRAGER
KING
TERRY
A.COLE
SWP
GERRARD
MILNER
LAMPARD
J.COLE
ROONEY

Rooney the lone striker with any two of the five mid-fielders bombing on with pace.
Carrager gets a place because he plays with 4 lions on his chest and i think hes a better defender at right back.
Milner is so far our best player IMO so he must play.
SWP, if hes got half the quality and guts of his dad he,ll win his place all through the competition.

Who ever CAPPO picks has got my support.
watson

Postby A.L.B » Tue Jun 08 2010, 16:25

Mine:

Hart

Johnson
King
Terry
Cole

Lennon
Carrick
Lampard
Gerrard
J Cole

Rooney

A.L.B

Postby Rabbits XI » Sat Jun 12 2010, 13:30

Euro 1996: opening game: England 1-1 Switzerland.
France 98: opening game: England 2-0 Tunisia.
Euro 2000: opening game: England 2-3 Portugal.
World Cup 2002: opening game: England 1-1 Sweden.
Euro 2004: opening game: England 1-2 France.
World Cup 2006: opening game: England 1-0 Paraguay.

Not a great record for the start of a torunament... England are slow starters, and generally frustrate their over-enthusiastic supporters. I believe England can win, can win the whole thing... The draw has been kind, and with Capello in charge I have more faith that he will be able to take us further than any of the managers at the above tournaments...

Tonight, USA are no mugs... Beating England would be big for them... They will make it hard, be well disciplined but also attack. They will cause England problems and it is highly unlikely we will perform well.

My team: Green; G.Johnson, A.Cole, Terry, King; Lennon, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard; Rooney, Heskey.

I want us to win but we shouldnt expect too much. A draw would not be a bad result, not ideal but there is a long way to go.
Rabbits XI

Postby wibby » Sat Jun 12 2010, 22:51

Tips wrote

Personally, I'd like to see Rob Green in goal (despite a disappointing season with the Hammers, he hasn't played too shabby in the qualifiers or in the warm up games) with a back four of Johnson, Terry, King and A$$ Hole (I mean Ash Cole ).

Then, in keeping with a 4-2-3-1 formation, I'd go with Lampard and Milner, with Gerrard, Rooney and Lennon behind Heskey up top.

Well Tips, your tips were spot on! Now, with the glorious advantage of hindsight, why would you like to see Green in goall? (sorry, cheap shot, you got the starting eleven right! ) Much more interesting to see what the next starting eleven will be!!
I still wear suspenders underneath my business suit....
wibby

Postby Just a blurr » Sun Jun 13 2010, 09:49

Rabbits XI wrote:Euro 1996: opening game: England 1-1 Switzerland.
France 98: opening game: England 2-0 Tunisia.
Euro 2000: opening game: England 2-3 Portugal.
World Cup 2002: opening game: England 1-1 Sweden.
Euro 2004: opening game: England 1-2 France.
World Cup 2006: opening game: England 1-0 Paraguay.

Not a great record for the start of a torunament... England are slow starters, and generally frustrate their over-enthusiastic supporters. I believe England can win, can win the whole thing... The draw has been kind, and with Capello in charge I have more faith that he will be able to take us further than any of the managers at the above tournaments...

Tonight, USA are no mugs... Beating England would be big for them... They will make it hard, be well disciplined but also attack. They will cause England problems and it is highly unlikely we will perform well.

My team: Green; G.Johnson, A.Cole, Terry, King; Lennon, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard; Rooney, Heskey.
I want us to win but we shouldnt expect too much. A draw would not be a bad result, not ideal but there is a long way to go.

prity much got it spot on! lottery numbers for wednesday night??
Just a blurr

Postby Captain Jack Sparrow2 » Sun Jun 13 2010, 10:12

I'm feeling pretty positive after watching the ENgland game. Created plenty of chances. Lennon was very positive and doing what you'd want a winger to do. Heskey was first class. Only thing his performance lacked was the finish from the 1-on-1 chanced but the keeper stood up well and made it difficult. He should be finishing that though regardless. Only one mistake and it cost us. That won't happen again.........I hope not anyway.
The area that concerns me is the centre of defence. Where is the pace??? With Rio gone there's no pace at all and Carra got skinned way too easily. John Terry was excellent and did exactly what you'd expect from him. Have we got another centre back with any pace? I've not seen that much of Dawson but is he quick or just as slow.
On a different track now.................the top three teams in England play the majority of their games with one up front (Rooney at Man U, Drogba at Chelsea and RVP at Arsenal) why don't England? Rooney can do it and has proved he can. Untill the last 15 mins he was pretty ineffective in my opinion.
It was a VERY attacking team last night with the only two defensive minded players being Terry and Carra. That team in that formation will not cope against better opposition. I don't doubt at all that Capello has a plan B and a plan C for different opponents but I hope it inolves something more defensive cos we can't 'out-score' teams. I would love to see Joe Cole floating around off Rooney as I thought they looked immense in the friendlies when they were on the pitch together.
More of the same from Gerrard and Terry who were our best performers on the night.
Green, get your chin up and get your body in line with the ball better.

Captain Jack Sparrow2

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 13 2010, 14:07

I'm not positive at all, we were lacklustre, could have lost when they hit the post. We are talking USA here not Brazil. For that one moment of madness by Green I am sorry but he shouldn't be playing again. SWP before Joe Cole? What is that about? Heskey missing one on ones as you'd expect, why is he on the pitch? At least Gerrard for once had a good game. The rest just doesn't look rosey.

Disgruntled and, as ever, disappointed England fan.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby First Lady » Sun Jun 13 2010, 17:02

Captain Jack Sparrow2 wrote:I'm feeling pretty positive after watching the ENgland game. Created plenty of chances. Lennon was very positive and doing what you'd want a winger to do. Heskey was first class. Only thing his performance lacked was the finish from the 1-on-1 chanced but the keeper stood up well and made it difficult. He should be finishing that though regardless. Only one mistake and it cost us. That won't happen again.........I hope not anyway.
The area that concerns me is the centre of defence. Where is the pace??? With Rio gone there's no pace at all and Carra got skinned way too easily. John Terry was excellent and did exactly what you'd expect from him. Have we got another centre back with any pace? I've not seen that much of Dawson but is he quick or just as slow.
On a different track now.................the top three teams in England play the majority of their games with one up front (Rooney at Man U, Drogba at Chelsea and RVP at Arsenal) why don't England? Rooney can do it and has proved he can. Untill the last 15 mins he was pretty ineffective in my opinion.
It was a VERY attacking team last night with the only two defensive minded players being Terry and Carra. That team in that formation will not cope against better opposition. I don't doubt at all that Capello has a plan B and a plan C for different opponents but I hope it inolves something more defensive cos we can't 'out-score' teams. I would love to see Joe Cole floating around off Rooney as I thought they looked immense in the friendlies when they were on the pitch together.
More of the same from Gerrard and Terry who were our best performers on the night.
Green, get your chin up and get your body in line with the ball better.

Young Jack take that Seaweed out of you eyes matey
Keep it clean keep it tidy.
First Lady

Postby Tony Minoldo » Mon Jun 14 2010, 16:17

In my opinion, England committed the same sin we Italians have seen so many times committed by many of our national and club teams...Scoring too early in the match, then sit back and watch the opposition play up to England's defending third.

The things I don't understand?

No. 1, Capello said, a month and a half ago, that goalkeepers had to be very careful with the trajectory of the new football in use in this World Cup, because they go everywhere.

No. 2, Buffon said that a few days ago, also, and whilst Green, Hart and James don't have to read or listen to what Gigi Buffon says, surely Capello told them and they have used the new ball in training.

No. 3, Knowing about the ball, why sitting to deep in the pitch, allowing long distance shots?

Finally, don't take it on Green only, the Algerian goalkeeper did a similar thing (and they lost 0-1). I always believed that a goal conceeded is a 11-man responsibility, if the US player who scored would have been properly marked (at the right distance) the shot would have never happened...

I think England look tough to beat, and you don't want them to be ready now, but improve during the tournment to be in form from the semis---If they reach them...

I still think we'll beat you lads in the final, Italia 2 - Inghilterra 1!!!

Love to you all from Italy (about 3 hours of rain and clouds in 6 weeks. Average temperature between 25 and 30 Celsius. Cherry trees growing around our house, we're eating about a Kg per day---courtesy of the farmer. My motorcycle doesn't get any rust, LOL ).
http://www.tmcoachingconsultancy.co.uk
http://www.thedoctor61motorcycles.co.uk

Tony Minoldo

• Website

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010