Angmering Football Club - RIP

[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Angmering Football Club - RIP

Postby Mur Fang » Wed Aug 31 2011, 22:44

It pains me to type this news but as expected Angmering FC have resigned from the WSFL

After speaking to league committee members tonight - the WSFL stood firm on their decision and were expecting Angmering to keep the Premier Division fixture at Lancing Utd this weekend

Without going over old ground this was just not going to be possible and it is with regret that the club has had to withdraw from the league

I'm sure many people have an opinion as to how a club can go from a County League Div 3 application to folding within the space of 10 weeks and please air you views below and i will try to clear up any questions

I would like to thank all those that have tried to save the club - you know who you are - but without players a club is nothing..!!

Finally - Good luck to all those players that have left to go on to "bigger and better" things - i will be watching your careers with interest...!!

Murf
Mur Fang

Re: Angmering Football Club - RIP

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 01 2011, 06:52

Big hand for Ron Hanmore, finally got his wishes of dragging the club to its knees!
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby recnal » Thu Sep 01 2011, 07:39

Real shame that this great club has gone.

You would have thought that the sensible decision would have been to let the club carry on in the lower league and work themselves back up, just as Predators did a few years back.

I suppose the danger would have been that the lads who are trying to break into County league sides decide to return and Angmering end up romping the lower league, upsetting other teams and making a mockery of the league hierachy.

The league will certainly be a lesser place without them and all of us at Lancing United wish all of the grafters at Angmering who put time and money into the club all of the best.

Perhaps you will become another Phoenix from the flames like Rogate 08 and resurrect the club next season? I certainly hope so as Angmering is a cracking place to visit with good hospitality, decent people and a really good team in recent years...

One final question....What happens to all of those registrations now? Are they destroyed or do players that have signed for Angmering have to get transfers?

Cheers

Sooty
Form is temporary, class is permanent...

recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC
  • Website

Postby Sidney » Thu Sep 01 2011, 07:46

recnal wrote:One final question....What happens to all of those registrations now? Are they destroyed or do players that have signed for Angmering have to get transfers?

Cheers

Sooty

He's like a Vulture circling the carcass :lol:

Sorry to hear about Angmering, I don't understand how Predators were allowed to stay and Angmering weren't
I also think Wittering did something similar a few seasons ago
Can't be one rule for one and one for another. The officials don't seem to understand the HIstory of clubs and how hard people work behind the scenes. Angmering should be praised for developing so many players to go on to play Copunty football, not penalised
Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

Sidney

Postby FancyaFryUp » Thu Sep 01 2011, 08:07

Thats a joke - 1 rule for 1 another rule for the others.... you would think the league may have just helped them out for a season...

Angmering FC was a great club, and I was lucky to have the chance to play for them, certain "members" may even be happy they folded, you should be ashamed

I truly hope AFC resurrect one-day and compete again.
101 and out.

All the best to all the staff, committee and players that tried to make it work in such difficult circumstances
"Eggs, bacon, beans, mushrooms, sausages, fried bread & a mineral water"

FancyaFryUp

Non League Club: GSK Sports FC
Twitter Acct: @mikemccaffreyuk

Postby recnal » Thu Sep 01 2011, 08:26

Sidney,

You always have to keep your eyes out for possible new players And after all, some of those good players will want to remain in the WSFL prem division! I did my ground work a few weeks back and got the 4 that I wanted anyway so just want to know if we will still have to pay the WSFL the £10 transfer fee for each player :lol: Especially as they would not waive the registration fee for our 3rd team when we decided not to register it a few weeks back

You are right though, what is the difference between Angmering, Predators and Wittering?

Would be interesting to hear from someone official from the league as to their reasons why Angmering were not allowed to remain...Murf, did the league give you an explanantion?

recnal

• Website

Postby Mur Fang » Thu Sep 01 2011, 09:36

Not really an explanation but were just told that leagues rules were that you "have" to fold the lower team. When I asked them about Predators i was told that was exceptional circumstances and wouldn't be repeated

Technically I suppose the Reserves were pulled out couple of weeks ago when Stu was still around and the fixtures had been deleted therefore leaving the club with only the front side - but that was before all this blew up. I was told even if the league wanted to let us in at a lower level it would be too difficult to arrange. I'm sure I've pressed more buttons posting this than what it would've taken to re-establish a side in Div 2 before a ball is even kicked

I totally understand the reasoning as it is quite a reasonable suggestion (as happened the last time they all wanted to play county league) that in 3-6 months all the players are back and that it would be unfair to romp a lower division (maybe Div 2 starting with -10 -15 points would have seen to that)

Not sure what will happen from here - the affiliation fees have been paid to the County FA so I suppose the club still exists but just doesn't have a league to play in. A few friendlies when the dust settles may well be the way forward before an application to join in Div 5 next season maybe.

have heard rumours that clubs are already enquiring about the possibility of using our pitch and facilities and so there may well be no way back.
Mur Fang

Postby Supeteddy » Thu Sep 01 2011, 09:40

I am suprised that you guys have gone altogether from 2 sides last season to not even getting 15 or 16 for one side (regardless of the division) It must be a better option to get a side out even in the prem even if it does mean a tough start and buying your self time to get players of the calibre required in during the season? Better that than allowing the side to fold and as people are saying letting all that history go with it!
Hold on i'll just say my secret magic word...

Supeteddy

• Website

Postby NickW » Thu Sep 01 2011, 10:48

Very sad to hear this Murph. Is there no way the club can continue in the Premier? I am sure between a few people a side could be mustered up, and as Supeteddy says players could be added throughout the season. Worst case the club are relegated to Div 1 and can rebuild from there? Seems very harsh to close all doors by the league.
NickW

Non League Club: Storrington
Pro Club: Burnley

Postby Mystery » Thu Sep 01 2011, 10:48

For those on the outside looking in it may look very strange that we went from 2 teams to nothing, but those involved know the reasons.

For me it was about being competitive, with the amount of players that left the club and looking at what was left i couldnt see us being that so i made the decision to stop playing altogether. Others have signed elsewhere and some committed to staying at the club in the hope a team could be put together. I know for a fact that everything was done to try and have an AFC team playing next season, but it just didnt happen and for what its worth i think the club made the right decision was made by the club when the league said the couldnt put a team in Div2 or 3.

The last 2 seasons at Angmering have been my best in football. The team, the atmosphere and banter, the club and obviously the success. Such a shame it has come to this.

Thanks to all at AFC and good luck for the future, hopefully they will build again and continue the great history.
Mystery

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 01 2011, 17:49

Mur Fang wrote: have heard rumours that clubs are already enquiring about the possibility of using our pitch and facilities and so there may well be no way back.

Yep and we both know who will be rubbing his hands in absolute joy over that, don't we.
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby recnal » Thu Sep 01 2011, 19:06

Who is Ron Hanmore?

I have never heard of him before but he obviously has wound Geoff up and seems to have a grudge against Angmering...

Is he a league official?
Last edited by recnal on Thu Sep 01 2011, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

recnal

• Website

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 01 2011, 19:20

recnal wrote:Who is Ron Hanmore?

I have neer heard of him bfore but he obviously has wound Geoff uand seems to have a grudge against Angmering...

Is he a league official?

He used to be chairman of ASRA (Angmering Sports and Recreation Association) and is now (I believe) the mere treasurer still pulling all the strings. They hold the purse keys to the money made and spent at the football club. For the ten years I was running the club we received not one penny from them despite it being our members putting the money behind the bar, not one ounce of help and everything we asked for was turned down. He never wanted us there because they could earn more money hiring out the pitches on a Saturday and under the complete control of said association. I tried to get him voted off ASRA and told him of my intentions but very few showed any interest in joining me. We were (and I guess still are) charged pitch hire, can you believe that? Pitch hire for our home ground. He threatened to evict us if we refused to pay it. When I eventually quit it was 90% down to ASRA and that horrible snivelling weasel of a man.

I guess when he is told about this he'll try to take me to court for whatever vindictive reason he can find, go for it I say.

Angmering FC were held back 20 years by the then chairman of ASRA, he held them back again over the summer, which makes me realise nothing had changed. And I am sure he is rejoicing the demise of the football club, his dream finally came true.
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby anorak » Thu Sep 01 2011, 22:58

Fair play to you Geoff, it is easy to hide behind others/make excuses when sad things like this occur, but to come out and name names and list the reasons takes some doing.

As I have no prior knowledge of this situation I appreciate I/we are getting only one side of the story, but I know who I would believe!

I truly hope that Angmering can rise again.

On a slightly different point what is/was Andy Baumfields role in all of this, I know him from a while back.
anorak

Postby localdonkey » Fri Sep 02 2011, 02:18

Mur Fang wrote: It pains me to type this news but as expected Angmering FC have resigned from the WSFL

This is very bad news. I played at Angmering a fair few times and it was always a friendly place to visit. I can't even remember an ill tempered match and that's the honest truth. I'm sure they had the odd niggly game, as we all do on occasion, but they must have been few and far between. Some good people must have existed behind the scenes for it to be like that. My humble opinion is the reserve team should have been folded and the first team should have struggled on, especially with the background of other teams wanting to 'move in' on the facilities. So what if you got hammered to begin with? Just persevere and no one knows what's round the corner. Some reserve players could play out of their skins and a few new signings would surely arrive. Just keep fighting and accept the relegation if that's what happens at the end of the season. Then, just regroup in division 1. I would urge the people responsible to reconsider this sad decision.

Geoff wrote: He used to be chairman of ASRA (Angmering Sports and Recreation Association) and is now (I believe) the mere treasurer still pulling all the strings. They hold the purse keys to the money made and spent at the football club. For the ten years I was running the club we received not one penny from them despite it being our members putting the money behind the bar, not one ounce of help and everything we asked for was turned down. He never wanted us there because they could earn more money hiring out the pitches on a Saturday and under the complete control of said association. I tried to get him voted off ASRA and told him of my intentions but very few showed any interest in joining me. We were (and I guess still are) charged pitch hire, can you believe that? Pitch hire for our home ground. He threatened to evict us if we refused to pay it. When I eventually quit it was 90% down to ASRA and that horrible snivelling weasel of a man.

He wasn't a mason by any chance?

P.S. I'm watching the athletics right now, not spending my time worrying about football clubs at 3a.m.. Thought i'd just pop in to see if there was any WSFL news.
We're now in lockdown mode. Just my opinion.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/27 ... -COVER-UP/
localdonkey

Next

Post a reply

Return to West Sussex FL