[ Facebook comments]

West Sussex Football League discussion

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Re: Angmering Football Club - RIP

Postby localman1 » Mon Sep 05 2011, 06:59

This is very sad news.

I can't believe a club that I have been involved with on and off for more then 20years I started going down there when my dad played there as a boy and then started playing men's football for the 3rd team at 16 where I played in the same team as my dad and uncle who with my grandad help build the club house.

Coming back for my second spell at the club playing under murf I have to say was my best time at the club an in football where I somehow ended up being Lee smarts partner at the back whitch was fun, but the banter we had that year was amazing and after the game everyone stayed for drinks and most ended up going out it was a great place to play football.

I for one would happily play some games for the club this year if it meant they could keep a side going as I would hate the club to fold.

Having played in goal last year for clymping in some very tuff games getting spanked every game I know it can be hard to do that every week but they did as it was the only way to keep the club going it looks like they will have a hard job thus year but at least there trying.

At least you now find out who really loves angmering fc I can't believe the manger wouldn't stay and try and fight just cos the good players have left for me I would find that more of a challenge trying to keep this great club up.
localman1

Postby Owl » Mon Sep 05 2011, 10:18

forgive my ignorance, but where do Angmering Sunday play?
http://www.boshamfc.co.uk

Owl

Non League Club: Bosham
Pro Club: Sheffield Wednesday
Twitter Acct: @blanshb

Postby Mystery » Mon Sep 05 2011, 13:26

Decoy drive as far as i know
Mystery

Postby AngmeringFC101 » Thu Sep 29 2011, 20:48

I’ve been meaning to add a reply to this thread for months, but now I’ve only just got round to it. I just wanted to add my thoughts and feelings to the death of Angmering Football Club. I played for the club for nearly 15 years and lived locally, so the club was very dear to my heart.

As many of you have said before in this thread, it’s such a great shame Angmering FC folded. I cannot believe after 101 years of existence the club has folded, those previous years have brought the club a lot of success and most importantly provided a team for players to play for each Saturday afternoon.

I, like many others was very annoyed and upset that Angmering Football Club was allowed to fold and both teams to fall out of the league, I have asked various people connected to the club, why this happened and the common explanation was; not getting the ground improvements approved, which then caused an exodus of players wanting to play for other local county teams, when it become apparent that Angmering FC would not be granted promotion to the County League Three.

Granted that players want to play at the highest level they can, so there’s always an option to play for other local county teams in higher divisions. What has become apparent that a select few of the ‘Angmering-based’ thought the grass would be ‘greener on the other-side’ to join these other local county teams, turning their back on Angmering FC (there’s definitely no loyalty in Football anymore at any level) I have to ask the question to those players who left: What is the point of going to a county team to sit on the bench each week or play in their Reserve Team? Surely that’s a drop down in standard to what you were playing at Angmering the season before?

In previous seasons players have tried their luck at their local county neighbours and when things didn’t work out, those players had the safeguard of returning back to Angmering FC for regular Football, when things didn’t work out. Unfortunately there is no Angmering Football Club for these players this anymore. Like I said before, I know loyalty doesn’t exist in Football, but those local-based players owed Angmering Football Club some loyalty for all the years of arranging Football for you each week and also to enjoy some memorable times, not just on the pitch but in the Bar as well. Angmering Football Club had one of the best match-day facilities outside the County League, it’s such a shame those facilities will not be enjoyed by local-based Angmering/Littlehampton players anymore.

A phrase to those players who left in pre-season ‘You don’t know what you’ve got until its gone’ I hope those players who deserted Angmering Football Club in pre-season realise what a mistake it was and the repercussions since.

I would like to thank all the Managers, Secretaries and Treasurers who gave up so much of their time, money and effort for Angmering FC, without those people the club would have not existed for 101 years. I’m, sure those people know who they are.

RIP AFC
AngmeringFC101

Postby Youth Leader » Fri Sep 30 2011, 07:49

AngmeringFC101 very well said.
Youth Leader

Postby Mystery » Fri Sep 30 2011, 08:53

AngmeringFC101- I respect everything you say, But.......

The squad at Angmering was made up of some very good players and County standard players at that. Angmering, and Stuart Smith in particular did very well to hold on to these players for the 2 succesfull seasons that we had. When the players were told the clubs intentions of pushing for county 3, 99% of them pledged to stay. This then fell through for whatever reasons and the players clearly felt it was time to test themselves at the next level with other clubs.

Thats football unfortunatly and although i understand your frustrations its unfair to question their loyalty. Every player that i played with at Angmering over those 2 seasons was 100% committed to the club and took the WSFL Prem title to The Drive at the first time of asking. Cant be bad can it?

I personally think the problem was behind the scenes, not knocking the people that were there in my time as they did a great job. But 4-5 people isnt enough! Maybe if all these people that are now knocking player loyalty got behind the club and helped to achieve County status then the club would still be going ??

Lets leave the players alone, you cant blame people for wanting to test themselves.
Can you........
Mystery

Postby recnal » Fri Sep 30 2011, 18:23

Paul,

You are right, but I suppose the question that I would ask is haven't most of the players in question already tested themselves at County League level?

You have, Swainy, Barney, Ollie Rowland have, so have most of the other lads who were regular players last season...

I really feel for Smithy and the lads from Angmering but perhaps it would have been good for all the boys to stick together and more importantly stick by Smithy for one more season whilst the work was done and win the WSFL Prem again before moving on?

It would be interesting to know how many of the lads that have moved on have gone on to play County League 1st team football week in week out?

I for one after last season know how much harder it is to stay loyal and try to rebuild the team after a mass exodus but it is so satisfying when you do it and things begin to come good again. I know that Stu would have given it a go and made Angmering a force to be reckoned with once again but maybe there were just not enough players willing to dig in and be a mid table team for a season?

Whatever happened, it is such a waste of a damn fine club and I really hope they rise from the flames next season and build again.

Sooty
Form is temporary, class is permanent...

recnal

Non League Club: Lancing United FC
Pro Club: Arsenal
Twitter Acct: @LancingUnitedFC
  • Website

Postby logitech » Fri Sep 30 2011, 19:14

the thing is the club was not going to get done next year unless there was a big lottery win in the village nobody blames anyone just cant rely on one bloke to pay for it all with no help from any where else loyalty dont come in to it when you are paying to play you have a right to play where you like to be honest good club just not got the finances to get county footie oh well we will see what next year brings
logitech

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 30 2011, 21:05

Logitech, we know each other very well as you know and I am not the only one indebted to your service towards Angmering FC, it won't be forgotten in our time.

AngmeringFC101 I agree with a lot of your sentiments and I'm sure I know you too! But it is a bit of everything and not just players. You build from the back... in football and it's organisation and Angmering were not allowed to build as an organisation because at all times we/they were met by a brick wall. This is something only those that ran Angmering FC really knew about because we tried to stop it getting to the pitch. In the days of Gary Beer, Malc Allen, Murf, they knew we were climbing hills but we tried to keep it within the committee. Anyway on light of new information I shall be making a post again... soon.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby Geoff » Fri Sep 30 2011, 21:34

An open letter to the string puller of ASRA ((allegedly) Angmering Sports and Recreation Club)

Dear Mr Hanmore,

Yes the Geoff you refer to was/is Geoff Anscombe. I knew one of your 'wing men' would inform you of my concern.

When we built the pavilion in the early 90's there were 4 parties involved. You, Mick Blackall, Snowy and Angmering FC (AFC). The help you got to build that place was not possible without AFC. For the first few years when there was no bar license AFC held the place together. As soon as we had a bar license you were straight in there pulling purse strings. But apart from 1993, maybe 94 you gave us one grant in 18 years. This despite the AFC providing something like 40 to 50% to the turnover and profits at the club. When county football was suggested you allegedly claimed it would need someone with 'deep pockets' to fund it. You were of course referring to the AFC chairman. So Mr Hanmore, where did all the profits go that were built up by AFC? Why did we/they get no benefit from the bar? You steadfastly said NO to everything AFC ever tried to do in order to move forward. Were the profits being sunk deep into other people's pockets or your own? I for one would be very interested to know where those thousands of pounds went over the years. Can I demand an audit seeing as you are a charitable organisation? I'd trust you as far as I could throw you, but being the weasly little scrote you are you'd probably slip out of my fingers.

Before you accuse the chairman of AFC giving me information, which you will inevitably do, just remember Mr Hanmore, I know many people that have seen your work at Decoy. You are a cancer to that club, you were in the 90's and you still are now. You have personally conducted the loss of a 100 year history and I hope you go to your grave happy. You are the Bill Archer of AFC. To tell someone to shut me up or you may lose your new pavilion is pathetic. You will lose the new facilities, not them. You have destroyed Angmering FC. You are a leech and I seriously hope someone puts you in your place. I shall be speaking to the necessary authorities regarding your new pavilion. You have no Saturday club, good start. You have deprived people like Roy Hough and Alfie Swain their Saturday football, and yet you still go there. Where is your humility? You are from Littlehampton, you have never lived in Angmering, sod off back to Littlehampton and stay there. I had ten years off from Angmering because of you, but I tried to help them to get into the county league, only to be told that you wanted someone with deep pockets. You have no shame, you are a leech. I hope your accounts are in order because if I can get a 20 year record of it I shall study it deeply.

Stop hiding behind people for once in your life and address me face to face you pansy. Let Angmering people run Angmering and leave that village alone.

Posted without prejudice.
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Supeteddy » Wed Oct 05 2011, 11:56

I don't know about anyone else but I was stunned to read your post Geoff, it's clear to see that it is something that has bothered you and in light of AFC's demise something that is grinding your gears.
Quick question, was an agreement ever in place for the bar social club to bank roll the club? I know you say that the football club put a lot of money behind the bar but that is some what irrelevant if no formal agreement has ever been in place. So I'm not sure how studying the books would further your cause and in any case the club has gone for now at least.
I'm not trying to whip up a storm just interested?
If an agreement was in place and no monies were forth coming then the club should of probably with drawn it's support to the bar and arranged to go elsewhere if as you say the players and associated people at the club did contribute so heavily to the bar it would not of taken long for the bar owner to put his hand in his pocket, in my opinion anyway?
Peace and love
Hold on i'll just say my secret magic word...

Supeteddy

• Website

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 06 2011, 22:14

The moral obligation towards the Saturday club and the surrounding community should have demanded it. However at this juncture I am saying no more. Watch this space.
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby NickW » Fri Jan 27 2012, 13:35

Sorry to drag this up, but are there any plans for the club to reform in the summer?
NickW

Non League Club: Storrington
Pro Club: Burnley

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 27 2012, 16:54

Only if they call it Hanmores Emporium of Angmering FC
Geoff
Site Admin

Postby localdonkey » Wed Sep 12 2012, 00:23

Any news on what nearly happened or the future?
We're now in lockdown mode. Just my opinion.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/27 ... -COVER-UP/
localdonkey

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to West Sussex FL