World Cup Squad annouced

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Re: World Cup Squad annouced

Postby Owl » Fri May 21 2010, 12:48

you think SWP will get in? Johnson has been selected ahead of him at City and Lennon is back in the picture. I think (hope) one of those 2 will get in ahead of him. Apart from that I think you've hit the nail on the head with squad selection, but I also still hope Dawson gets the nod over Upson - him and King have had a great finish to the season (apart from Burnley when the hard work had been done).

I also have to echo the views about Carragher - he shouldnt be in the squad. I think he is/was an excellent defender and brilliant for Liverpool but when he 'retired' I thought that was a pretty petulant act, bit like Chris Sutton refusing to play for England 'B' with a World Cup looming in 98. I also think he is very poor when played at right back, he is a centre back/stopper and thats it - if he is in the squad as cover for Glen Johnson then I hope Johnson stays fit as Carragher cant get past the half way line.

Spain have to be the favourites, but I definitely believe we have a good chance and I cant wait for June 12th!
http://www.boshamfc.co.uk

Owl

Non League Club: Bosham
Pro Club: Sheffield Wednesday
Twitter Acct: @blanshb

Postby Mystery » Fri May 21 2010, 14:03

Only because Capello seems to like him, i like the look of Adam Johnson. He could be the find of the world cup for England, but will Capello take a gamble? Dont rate SWP to be honest and Walcott is only an option of the bench when you need some pace in behind. Lennon has potential and could do well, but has had a long lay off and his end procuct isnt the greatest. Hence why i think CAPELLO will take SWP and Walcott instead of Johnson and Lennon. Would be the other way round if it was MY choice.
Mystery

Postby Owl » Fri May 21 2010, 14:18

ok, fair enough - its just that you didnt mention it in your alternatives with Darren Bent etc. Think you're right, everyone has their favourites and maybe these warm up games will help tie up the loose ends. I completely trust Cappello to get it right though, although (as a Wednesday fan) I was disappointed Marcus Tudgay hasn't made the 30...
http://www.boshamfc.co.uk

Owl

Non League Club: Bosham
Pro Club: Sheffield Wednesday
Twitter Acct: @blanshb

Postby Fingers » Fri May 21 2010, 14:24

I hope Capello takes Lennon above SWP - Lennon is a better player by far as is Adam Johnson - he could find room for both and only take 7 defenders considering Carragher could play right back and centre half.

James
Hart
Green

Johnson
Ferdinand
Terry
Cole
Baines
King
Carragher

Gerrard
Lampard
Milner
Barry/Huddlestone/SWP
Carrick
Lennon
Walcott
Johnson
J Cole

Rooney
Heskey
Crouch
Defoe
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby Lord Zola » Fri May 21 2010, 15:00

I agree fingers - I read somewhere Maradonna has 8 forwards in his provisional squad, sometimes you need to take risks. Why leave a talented winger at home who can chnage the game, to make way for a average defender.

I'd take Bent and Hesky and go with just Carragher to cover both right and left back. Also, we have Milner who can do a job there if required. Warnock and Baines should both stay behind and make room for 5 forwards.
KTBFFH

Lord Zola

Postby Telscombe Cliff » Fri May 21 2010, 15:26

England have a goalkeeper who is ageing and error prone, a right back who can't defend, two centre backs who might well be injured, no defensive midfielder, no left winger and a striker who hasn't scored since February. If that was a county league reserve side you'd be worried. Unless some knd of miracle occurs we're not going to win this are we?
Telscombe Cliff

Postby SuperCat1 » Fri May 21 2010, 20:10

When Capello names his 23 does he have to pick from the 30 chosen or can he add somone else outside the 30 squad

So if he could apart from the obvious Phil J scholes etc that has been mentioned is there anyone else that has had an oustanding season or could be a force in the future

I think england will have a good world cup as everyone might not be first choice due to injuries etc might just pull everyone together to perform well. Also with the way we are suposedley believe Capello manages he keeps everyone on their toes and the players dont know who is playing so everyone has to train well.

On the Carrager saga - he has not had the best of seasons but he has far more experience at european / international level than baines / Walnock / Phil j and this could prove vital if he has to play and is a big leader on the field.

I think Spain and Brazil will be the teams to beat but the Dutch and germans always go well and i have a sneaky feeling the french :twisted: will also do well much to my discust.

P.S Love the 20/20 remark about the 2 SA and Irishman!
SuperCat1

Postby Geoff » Fri May 21 2010, 21:14

Supercat he can name any 23 he likes regardless of his final 30 as it stands.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby Nosnibor » Fri May 21 2010, 21:34

Can somebody please explain to me the obsession that Capello, and many others, have with Heskey? He has had a poor season, barely holding down a regular first team place at Villa, yet still seems to be one of the definates to go. Coming from an Arsenal fan it pains me to say this but I would rather see Crouch playing then Heskey. He has an incredible goals to games record for England. Do we really need someone in the team who may hold the ball up for an hour then go off tired and/or injured?
http://www.newhavenfc.co.uk
Nosnibor

Non League Club: Newhaven FC
Pro Club: Arsenal FC
Twitter Acct: @leemtrobbo
  • Website

Postby LONG 2 » Sat May 22 2010, 08:38

Can somebody please explain to me the obsession that Capello, and many others, have with Heskey?

From what i understand he is a firm favourite of most of the senior players in the side! especially Rooney! Can i explain why? No!
As for the 20/20 we had 3 South Africans, Lumb, Pietersen and Kieswetter!
LONG 2

Postby XBEANX » Sat May 22 2010, 13:15

Personal views on Carragher have to be put to one side, having Carragher and Milner on the England bench gives you so many more options than a Warnock or Lescott - Both can come on at right back should Johnson get injured - depending on how the game is going one would be chosen to do the necassary job.

As for Heskey - great player to have in qualifiers as he holds the ball up well and players will get plenty of chances, however in a world cup game, especially against a top side your only going to get a couple of chances to win the game - most know the outcome if that chance falls to Heskey.

For me now Rooney has proven he can play the old fassioned centre forward role, Stevie Gerrard has to be the player chosen to partner him, playing in behind.
Previous years Rooney has dropped off leaving the centre halfes to mark themselves - Now he can occupy them with Gerrard, Lampard and Carrick/Barry in the centre feeding he wings - Lennon and Cole.

If you get the ball wide and then into the box, you wil have Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard all ready to pounce, would you want anyone else in the world in there to finish half chances?

I believe that would be a strongest attatcking option with a back four of the obvious Johnson, Terry, Rio and Cole - Cant pick between the keepers James and Hart.

England to reach atleast the semi's!!
http://www.webteams.co.uk/club.asp?club ... #mileoakfc
XBEANX

Postby Geoff » Sat May 22 2010, 13:25

XBEANX wrote:Personal views on Carragher have to be put to one side, having Carragher and Milner on the England bench gives you so many more options than a Warnock or Lescott - Both can come on at right back should Johnson get injured - depending on how the game is going one would be chosen to do the necassary job.

Actually yeah you are right, I will put my personal views to one side and just support whoever we pick.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby Sidney » Tue May 25 2010, 10:07

Telscombe Cliff wrote:England have a goalkeeper who is ageing and error prone, a right back who can't defend, two centre backs who might well be injured, no defensive midfielder, no left winger and a striker who hasn't scored since February. If that was a county league reserve side you'd be worried. Unless some knd of miracle occurs we're not going to win this are we?

But he can't half strike one with his left peg. As long as we score more the oppo it doesn't matter if you can't defend :lol:
Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

Sidney

Postby michael » Tue May 25 2010, 11:30

Sidney wrote:
Telscombe Cliff wrote:England have a goalkeeper who is ageing and error prone, a right back who can't defend, two centre backs who might well be injured, no defensive midfielder, no left winger and a striker who hasn't scored since February. If that was a county league reserve side you'd be worried. Unless some knd of miracle occurs we're not going to win this are we?

But he can't half strike one with his left peg. As long as we score more the oppo it doesn't matter if you can't defend :lol:

Touche' , telscombe, get your coat.! :oops:
michael

Postby tips » Fri May 28 2010, 09:59

Nosnibor wrote:Can somebody please explain to me the obsession that Capello, and many others, have with Heskey?
I'm going to go against the angry mob on this one...I don't mind having him in the side. Actually, I prefer it. IMO, England play a kind of 4-2-3-1 formation with a standard back four, Lampard and Barry (or an alternative if he doesn't make it back to fitness) with Gerrard, Rooney and Walcott/Lennon/SWP/Milner behind the front man. For me, Heskey plays his role as the front man so well in that he puts himself about - more so than what Crouch would do - and makes a hand full of himself to the two centre halves, which in turn, gives Rooney, Gerrard and co. a license to roam in the space behind. Granted, some sides may try to counteract this by deploying a holding, defensive midfielder, but for 90 minutes, I'm not sure he'd get the upper hand on that lot. If Rooney was to play in Heskey's role as the lone frontman, he'd end up being marked by two defenders, playing with his back to goal all game. And Gerrard does a fine job starting out on the left. No one expects Gerrard to hang on the touchline all game as an out-and-out winger like Giggs used to; actually some of the world's best players used to start wide and then come in side at will when the space/chance was there - Ronaldinho, Zidane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi.

Oh, and going back to the Barry scenario, I'm hoping Scotty Parker gets the nod
tips

Twitter Acct: MattTiplady

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010