Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Do we need OR indeed WANT Beckham in S.A.

[ Facebook comments]

World Cup 2010 discussion.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Re: Do we need OR indeed WANT Beckham in S.A.

Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 08 2009, 10:47

Supeteddy wrote:... and the whole of England not to be depending on him for everything that is Rooneys job now!

I don't agree that we have to rely on one person in the same way we used to with Becks.

I think we have enough quality through the squad not to need to be dependent on one player. Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Defoe, Joe Cole and probably the most attacking full backs in the tournament in Johnson and Ashley Cole, the latter probably being the most accomplished left back in the world currently. I am sure they will all shine through at some stage, as well as, of course Rooney. I just hope to God we start Defoe before Heskey or Crouch... get rid of the lumps!
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby frank » Tue Dec 08 2009, 10:54

Fingers wrote:Beckham is still better than alll the English players at Spurs - thats why Harry wanted to sign him!!!

Aaron Lennon - 3/5 crosses go out for goalkicks
Jenas - average
Huddlestone - game passes him by in and out struggles to stamp his authority and gets found out against class opposition
Bentley - Biggest waste of money since Veron!!!

He should go to the World Cup without doubt - I agree with Wibby no one crosses with same amount of accuracy and that will allow us to go close next summer.

Not sure what Spurs has got to do with it.

If your telling me that Beckingham should go to S.A. because he can cross the ball, it shows to me that you will never make a Capello.

Heres my World Cup midfielders, Gerrard, Barry, Young, Milner, Lampard, Joe Cole, Carrick, Walcott, Wright-Philips, Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles, David Dunn and Noble, if the lads want a bit of fun they should take Posh to play around with, after all there will be no WAGS and she wouldn,t be one, I wouldn,t touch her with a barge poll myself.
frank

Postby Sidney » Tue Dec 08 2009, 11:02

frank wrote:Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles,

Seriously
Men's best successes come after their disappointments.

Sidney

Postby frank » Tue Dec 08 2009, 11:47

Sidney wrote:
frank wrote:Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles,

Seriously

Not seriously anybody thats better I,d risk.

Seriously the lad Gibson at Manchester looks promising if he can keep in Fergies team, although knowing that prat he will stick him in the stiffs for another 5 years and keep playing Nani, Anderson and old timers Scholes and Giggs. Valencia and Carrick could do with Gibson and another Quality midfielder.
frank

Postby lamps8 » Tue Dec 08 2009, 13:22

Heres my World Cup midfielders, Gerrard, Barry, Young, Milner, Lampard, Joe Cole, Carrick, Walcott, Wright-Philips, Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles, David Dunn and Noble, if the lads want a bit of fun they should take Posh to play around with, after all there will be no WAGS and she wouldn,t be one, I wouldn,t touch her with a barge poll myself.[/quote]

So you would take all those and not Lennon? Or have you just missed him out??

Regarding the starting 11 i would not start Gareth Barry!! I would take him to SA but in the first 11 no way (IMO)
lamps8

Postby frank » Tue Dec 08 2009, 13:56

The problem with Lennon is a confidence thing, if its very high he is great, if its anything below 70% you might just aswell have Beckham out wide.
frank

Postby Fingers » Tue Dec 08 2009, 14:05

frank wrote:
Fingers wrote:Beckham is still better than alll the English players at Spurs - thats why Harry wanted to sign him!!!

Aaron Lennon - 3/5 crosses go out for goalkicks
Jenas - average
Huddlestone - game passes him by in and out struggles to stamp his authority and gets found out against class opposition
Bentley - Biggest waste of money since Veron!!!

He should go to the World Cup without doubt - I agree with Wibby no one crosses with same amount of accuracy and that will allow us to go close next summer.

Not sure what Spurs has got to do with it.

If your telling me that Beckingham should go to S.A. because he can cross the ball, it shows to me that you will never make a Capello.

Heres my World Cup midfielders, Gerrard, Barry, Young, Milner, Lampard, Joe Cole, Carrick, Walcott, Wright-Philips, Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles, David Dunn and Noble, if the lads want a bit of fun they should take Posh to play around with, after all there will be no WAGS and she wouldn,t be one, I wouldn,t touch her with a barge poll myself.

Im sure Capello will take 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 forwards - so picking the squad will be very difficult and if everyone is fit its a hard job for me Beckham would go. But only if his form for AC Milan is good enough, like everyone else - this is the squad I would take if he I had to pick it tomorrow.

Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Brown, Upson, Bridge, King/Lescott

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Joe Cole, Beckham, Wright-Phillips, Lennon/Walcott

Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch

PS Daron Gibson plays for Republic of Ireland and played against France the other week! He has looked good the last few games and is starting to stake a claim in the united side.
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby frank » Tue Dec 08 2009, 14:48

PS Daron Gibson plays for Republic of Ireland and played against France the other week! He has looked good the last few games and is starting to stake a claim in the united side.[/quote]

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Carrick instead of Buckum
frank

Postby Fingers » Tue Dec 08 2009, 14:54

I'd take Carrick as a centre Half and take away the King/Lescott decision
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby frank » Tue Dec 08 2009, 15:55

Fingers wrote:I'd take Carrick as a centre Half and take away the King/Lescott decision

:lol: :lol: Rose tinted Glasses :lol: :lol:
frank

Postby Sidney » Tue Dec 08 2009, 18:03

Fingers wrote:
Im sure Capello will take 3 keepers, 8 defenders, 8 midfielders and 4 forwards - so picking the squad will be very difficult and if everyone is fit its a hard job for me Beckham would go. But only if his form for AC Milan is good enough, like everyone else - this is the squad I would take if he I had to pick it tomorrow.

Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Brown, Upson, Bridge, King/Lescott

Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Joe Cole, Beckham, Wright-Phillips, Lennon/Walcott

Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch

PS Daron Gibson plays for Republic of Ireland and played against France the other week! He has looked good the last few games and is starting to stake a claim in the united side.

Wouldn't you take any 'keepers then

If we're talking about players that shouldn't go to the World Cup then, for me, Wes Brown should never play for England again Average at best and absolutly shocking at worst

Sidney

Postby Fingers » Wed Dec 09 2009, 12:42

Sidney wrote:Wouldn't you take any 'keepers then

If we're talking about players that shouldn't go to the World Cup then, for me, Wes Brown should never play for England again Average at best and absolutly shocking at worst

3 keepers - James, Hart, Robinson

Ok i'd take Phil Neville or Gary Neville instead of Brown
Paddy Power = Legend
Fingers

• Website

Postby gonzo » Fri Dec 11 2009, 10:53

Beckham 100% in my world cup squad.

Although I wouldnt necessarily start him, he would be only just behind Lampard and Gerrard on the plane to SA. If one of those got injured, he would be my first choice replacement in Centre Mid.

Nobody in England has his range of passing. Nobody in England posseses his free kick ability.
Not many have his experience. He is a model professional for anyone luckily enough to be involved in the England set-up and will give all inexperienced squad members a lift.

You also forget he isnt a luxury player. We are not talking about some overweight 'has-been' who cant move unless the ball is at his feet. His clean living and lifestyle means he is as fit and comitted as any other player in the world, he still plays at the top level at Milan and the amount of ground he covers and his work rate is still astonishing.

He can influence and change a game in the bat of an eye.
He offers something very different if you need an alternative attacking approach to a game. A plan 'B' as Geoff points out.

I dont think its a question of wanting him, I think we NEED him in the England squad.
And I would be surprised if any of his fellow professionals would disagree.

Stanilas, OHara, Downing, and on stanby Eagles
:lol: :lol:

I would still pick Beckham ahead of this lot for the 2014 World Cup at the age of 39!!!
Hes worth more on a football field than this lot put together.
I wouldnt trust them to carry Beckhams boots to SA :lol: :lol:
What Cant Speak, Cant Lie!

gonzo
Site Mod

Postby Supeteddy » Tue Dec 15 2009, 16:01

Wright-Phillips as a shoe in and Lennon and Walcott fighting over one spot??

Not for me he is the one to miss out over Lennon or Walcott the only way SWP gets in is if either one of those is injured he does not bring enough to the table IMO.
Hold on i'll just say my secret magic word...

Supeteddy

• Website

Postby Sidney » Tue Dec 15 2009, 16:41

Where as Lampard brings too much to the table
all together now, 1 man couldn't carry, couldn't carry Lampard,
1 man and his forklift truck, couldn't carry Lampard
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Geoff

Sidney

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to World Cup 2010